Complete beginner has question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetcrabhoney

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi.

I just recently got a fish tank with two fancy breed gold fish in them. It has little things inside of it because I don't know really what to add. There is no house just plant like things.

I've looked over a lot of this forum and am still not sure what I can put in the tank and what I can't. Can anyone tell me please?

One posting says I can make clay items.. another said doll toys and another said glass from fancy stores and then another said PVC pipe. I'm really confused. :confused: Could anyone point me in the right direction? Please?

Hi.. thanks for the welcome..

Okay this proves that I'm a complete beginner.. what is cycled? It has a filter if that's what you mean. Ugh I feel so dumb now. Sorry.

Hey welcome to AA, I started like that too, don't worry:)
A cycle is the process a new tank has to go through in order to sustain life, it usually takes around one- one and a half months for it to happen
If you add fish before this they either die or get injuries on their gills caused by the high ammonia in a new tank, it burns their gills
Doing a fish less cycle is faster and better, a fish less cycle takes more time and is cruel to the fish
There are faster ways to cycle a tank, I cycled mine in just two weeks, that is super fast!
Anymore questions just ask
Welcome to AA!

Okay so I have had one fish for like close to a year.. Only recently got a new tank because I fall in love with a bigger fish and thus needed a bigger tank. Both have been in the new tank for like going on three weeks. No problems.. I just think the bigger fish might be bored because the pet store tank had some more thingys in it and mine is currently pretty empty.

Does that help? I feel like I need to grab a goldfish tank book now..

There you go perfect fish in cycle for your tank

Here is my secret to a faster cycle.... Use tetra safe start live bacteria, and use a filter media from an established tank, like your own tank

Okie dokie Thank you for those articles will read them in a bit. After I do the cycling thing and make sure my fish are safe.. I can add thingys to my tank right or do I still have to wait?

Okie dokie Thank you for those articles will read them in a bit. After I do the cycling thing and make sure my fish are safe.. I can add thingys to my tank right or do I still have to wait?
You can add stuff now if you want. Obviously, just make sure the stuff is Aquarium safe!!

But how can I tell if it's safe? The things on ebay are fine but also ugly beyond words. What makes something aquarium safe and not aquarium safe?

But how can I tell if it's safe? The things on ebay are fine but also ugly beyond words. What makes something aquarium safe and not aquarium safe?
Anything aimed at Aquariums will be fine. People here have asked if they can add Console controllers, Action figures etc, not really a good idea. Anything from a pet store or online stores will be fine...

Back
Top Bottom