Conflicting Profile advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fynnie

Aquarium Advice Regular
:D I just saw a fish that I got so excited about I almost pee'd myself ( well not really just an illustration of how over- the- top happy I was.) It is a Chromis viridis
Common Names: Blue-Green Chromis
Blue-Green Damselfish
Synonyms: Pomacentrus viridis
Family: Pomacentridae
Category: Damselfish
Just a georgeous fish I WANT some but I have a freshwater tank. The LPS thinks they are a salt water fish. PLease prove me wrong while I do some research too. :D

AFAIK ALL Damselfish are SW. perhaps there are Brackish species, but i doubt it...Sorry :(

I wish we could get some of those saltwater fish in freshwater. They are just so beautiful.

:( * sigh* I just knew they were too beautiful. Well, then if I must make another choice could anyone suggest a colorful freshwater type of fish. Im pretty open to suggestion although after my Cichlid fiasco Im not too keen on keeping those any more, it would have to be really special. So come all you guys tell me what would you suggest. Just a note though I DONT have room for a pleco. Cheers!

All depends on what size aquarium you have and what tankmates there will be. How large of a fish do you want? How many? African cichlids have a variety of color... they would require a larger tank though.

I have a 33 gallon that currently has a Rainbow Shark , 3 Oto's and 5 Brilliant Rastsboras in residence. Peacful to mildly agressive fish would be ok by me. I like schooling fish but they tend to be so small and have a tendancy to get lost in the surroundings. I am leaning towards Gouramis ( Pearl and Powder Blue especially get my eye) & I find Bronze Cory Cats appealing. You want to know what my real problem is? I want them all like some evil mad scientist.I even got all silly about Hummingbird Tetras yesterday, go figure. I am very open to suggestions matching this critera:
Not super agressive or large or very small either.
Very Colorful.
Not too delicate.

I agree with the Rainbows. Check out the Bosemanis. Very colorful.

On the other hand, You can get a school of Chromis (which they prefer to be in) in a 30 gallon, the max out at around 3 or 3 1/2 inches. Perhaps...a new tank? :D

Devilishturtles said:
I agree with the Rainbows. Check out the Bosemanis. Very colorful.

On the other hand, You can get a school of Chromis (which they prefer to be in) in a 30 gallon, the max out at around 3 or 3 1/2 inches. Perhaps...a new tank? :D

The solution for almost all stocking problems. :lol: :lol:

Oh I really wish I could get a new even bigger tank, but this tank was an early christmas prezzie, so I dont think I could sneak in another one without my over worked Husband going bonkers. I am already softening him up for a 75 gallon tank .heh heh heh. :twisted:
I looked at the Rainbows last night and well I am looking forward to checking out Bolivian Rams they sure look cool too!

Check out German Blue Rams if you want color and were thinking about Bolivians. The two would co-exist well. Maybe throw in some apistos too.

bs6749 said:
Check out German Blue Rams if you want color and were thinking about Bolivians. The two would co-exist well. Maybe throw in some apistos too.

I happen to agree...some of the SA dwarfs are very colorful and personable.

Jchillin said:
bs6749 said:

I happen to agree...some of the SA dwarfs are very colorful and personable.
male of each...:D

img_754969_0_45eb2b3bdf639b592d3db07c8b374d70.jpg

If you're looking for a fish that looks somewhat like the chromis, can't go wrong with either praecox or turquoise rainbows....here's one of my turquoises:

P1030125.JPG

OMG! These are all beautiful fish! Thank You all for the wonderful picts ( I know everyone wants to show off their beauties!)
I have been reading that GBR are kinda delicate especially with their water, any truth to these statements?

fynnie said:
OMG! These are all beautiful fish! Thank You all for the wonderful picts ( I know everyone wants to show off their beauties!)
I have been reading that GBR are kinda delicate especially with their water, any truth to these statements?
as long as you get captive breed ones it is not as much of an issue, just keep the water clean! (i do 50% pwc per week)

I do pretty big PWC's at least 40-50% per week just because it takes me so long to gravel vac everything to pristine conditions ( * Im a type "A" neat freak*). Would the GBR like it slightly salty like most other Cichlids?

I never heard of cichlids liking slightly salty conditions. GBR's do not require even slightly salty conditions. They are not delicate when you get good quality. JDogg's GBR pictured above is one that I would consider being of good quality. It has lots of color and the fins are all normal shaped. Problems arise with GBR's that have been imbred for many generations and that causes color loss, abnormally shaped fins, and they tend to be less healthy than the good quality ones. You should have no problems with them. Check on www.aquabid.com if you are interested in some good German Blue Rams. I got mine from a seller named Ronbak and he is having one of his last auctions for them until the summer some time. I am tempted to get some more of them LOL.

OOoooooOOOOOO ! Thanks for the info on where to get a good quality GRB, that was a question that was buzzing my brain. I have seen some examples of locally bred Cichlids ( Rainbows, Convicts and Jack Dempseys) I wasnt impressed with the quality or the care they had been receiving. I don't mind paying a little bit more for better quality or buying a smaller fish. Cool .
As for the salt I guess I have some more research to do, don't I? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom