Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keds195

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I checked my water last night it was ph 7.2 ammo 0.25 nitrites 1ppm nitrates 0. I checked my water today and it is ph 7.2 ammo 1ppm nitrites 0? So I did a pwc to reduce the ammo and its gone back down to 0.25.
Is it normal for nitrites to appear then disappear?

Hi I checked my water last night it was ph 7.2 ammo 0.25 nitrites 1ppm nitrates 0. I checked my water today and it is ph 7.2 ammo 1ppm nitrites 0? So I did a pwc to reduce the ammo and its gone back down to 0.25.
Is it normal for nitrites to appear then disappear?

My guess is your tank is cycling?

Ye that's what I thought yesterday when nitrites was showing up but now it's reading 0 nitrites. So is it still cycling? Is it normal to fluctuate like that?

Ye that's what I thought yesterday when nitrites was showing up but now it's reading 0 nitrites. So is it still cycling? Is it normal to fluctuate like that?

IME nothing is normal lol. I've seen sooooo many cycles and they all were different.

You don't want any ammonia. You'll start seeing NitrAtes and that's it.

When the tank is cycled it will break down ammonia and nitrites then it gets converted to nitrAtes. NitrAtes are removed by water changes.

A cycled tank should only show nitrAtes as maybe on a rare occasion ammonia.

My tank is well over a year and I ever see when testing is nitrAtes.

I could be wrong. But I think for the most part this is correct. Hopefully more will chime in.

How did you cycle?

With a fish in cycle the cycle may have caught up with the bio load. Then if you added more fish or maybe fed to much it would have become a bigger bio load then what you originally had. Witch would cause ammonia and nitrITes to go up.

Well I've lost 2 fish since I started cycling. I understand why the ammo and nitrites went up I just not understand why the nitrites have suddenly dropped from 1ppm to 0ppm.

It probably turned into nitrAtes

But you need to keep up on water changes you may.need to do 3 a day so you don't lose anymore fish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom