Confused about pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just did my water tests, and my pH results confused me. I tested both pH and high pH. my results were pH: looked to be between 7.2-7.6, it wasn't the brighter color blue of the 7.6 but wasn't exactly the blueish green the 7.2 is. My high range pH result was 7.4. What would your opinions be on what my pH is?

Your water parameters from the tap

:) Check your tap water before you condition. That very well could be why your ph is a little high. Just remember, constant and stable ph is waaaaay more important than what the reading is, that is unless you're adding new fish, breeding, have a reef, planted or finicky high maintenance fish. Hope it helps you.

ktomminello said:
:) Check your tap water before you condition. That very well could be why your ph is a little high. Just remember, constant and stable ph is waaaaay more important than what the reading is, that is unless you're adding new fish, breeding, have a reef, planted or finicky high maintenance fish. Hope it helps you.

Actually this is a little lower for my pH ranges prior to this. It was usually more around 7.8ish, if I remember correctly I think the pH straight from the tap is about 7.8. I do have two rams, I am looking to breed in the near future (still trying to find some to pair up). If I remember correctly I know a good pH range for rams is around 7.4, so having this pH range makes me very happy.

I always thought rams liked slightly acidic water around 6.6 that's what I've heard from a lot of sources

stevedocs said:
I always thought rams liked slightly acidic water around 6.6 that's what I've heard from a lot of sources

Could be, I think I saw the 7.4 in an article I read recently, where I buy my rams from is literally like 2 minutes from my house do they have the same water source I do.

The only reason I mentioned it is that I'm getting my tank ready for rams and all research I've done says soft acidic water so I've got a peat ball to lower my ph. I guess if your supplier is keeping them in similar water you will be fine, you may have trouble breeding them though in water with a ph like you have. But then again not everything you read on the net is true. Look into peat balls though simple easy way to lower ph

I believe parameters are 6.5-7 for breeding 7.2- 7.5 for regular tank, but this is either dead on or completely opposite, I need some refresher courses in cichlids, lol. I had to rehome my oscars because my puffer takes all my time

ktomminello said:
I believe parameters are 6.5-7 for breeding 7.2- 7.5 for regular tank, but this is either dead on or completely opposite, I need some refresher courses in cichlids, lol. I had to rehome my oscars because my puffer takes all my time

This is my first go around with cichlids ever. So far it's going good, or atleast I think so. Both my rams are getting more colorful by the day, and I'm doing my best to not let nitrates go above 10ppm.

That is quite a high reading, but I'm a novice at best with cichlids but I have a huge oscar habitat at my moms with my 2 oscars (mind you this is a river bed simulation circulating 500g) and I'm finally finishing my aquariums in my house and am starting to plan out the stock and the special details I want to add- speaking of which- does anyone know of plants other then the normal grasses and mosses native that they won't uproot and play soccer with?

Back
Top Bottom