confused about screw-in CF lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, looking to get maybe yet another tank and have read things before about people buying those relatively cheap incandenscent hoods, but instead of using incandenscent bulbs, using screw-in CF bulbs instead. "They cost $5 at Wal-Mart," etc.

Sounds great.

So just to learn more I go to the Wal-Mart website, do a search for screw-in CF bulbs, see all sorts of options...but also notice the color temperature on most of them is 2700k, a few seem to be available in 4100k or 5100k, but that's it.

I was under the impression bulbs needed to be at least 6k (or even 8k) before they were really beneficial for plant growth.

What am I missing here? :roll:

the genral k rating seems to be about 6500 for plants and they do sell a 6500K bulb at walmart in the pet section usually. if u cannot find it there try your LFS since i know coralife makes one aswell but it will be a bit pricy.

Look in Walmart again. They have one that's either 6500k or 6700k. They have U-shaped tubes on them and not the spiral tubes.

ok all, I didn't know about the U-tube part. Will keep looking. thanks!

Here's mine....

10g38.jpg

You can also find Daylight CF bulbs at most hardware stores. I've seen one by Phillips, I am sure there are others. These are around 6700K & should be good for plants.

thanks everyone, was able to find 6500k bulbs at the Home Depot down the street.

Back
Top Bottom