Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also I don't understand how to read the ammonia test, the color is green and it's in btw .1 and .3 what does this mean? Then there's all that talk of dividing.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzydea
Also I don't understand how to read the ammonia test, the color is green and it's in btw .1 and .3 what does this mean? Then there's all that talk of dividing.
When in between always assume it to be the highest reading. Ideally ammonia should be zero.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

so here is a thought. why not go ahead and buy yourself that larger aquarium that you are wanting. set it up and then you can move some (or all) of these guys over there. they would be much happier in the larger tank. we can help you with a fish in cycle on that tank. you will need to be doing daily water changes if you do the fish in cycle. you probably need to be doing daily water changes on this tank as well.
buy yourself the liquid test kit and things will start to make alot more sense than those strips (no dividing) - you just get the water, drop the drops, shake and wait for the directed time, read the test. very simple. the answer to most of your problems is the daily water changes. this will help everyone and you most likely will find your fish surviving this whole ordeal.

the larger tank is easier too (except the water changes are more) - probably want to get a python type thing for the larger tank.

or you can do a fishless cylce on the larger tank - either way. but I say take the plunge! the bigger tank will be eaiser to work with and your fish will be happy
Old 03-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Larger tanks are much easier to keep stable because the larger water volume means it takes a lot more waste to get a dangerous concentration of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. I agree, go ahead and get the larger tank and the liquid test kits and give your fish a more suitable home. Lots of people start off with small tanks because they seem easier to take care of, but larger tanks are much easier and much more forgiving of mistakes.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya I have been wanting a large tank for a couple years but they are so flipping expensive plus all the things you need and the stand for it is always crazy high in price. I've been keeping my eye out for the right used one. Also we have been talking about moving as well so I can't see transporting a large tank being an easy process. I literally dream of having one though. You go to the pet stores and see all the exotic fish and they are so big and colorful! Then there's that big choice of salt or fresh water, by the way which is easiest??
Old 03-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Please don't take this the wrong way but if ur guppies are dying everything else is suffering move the other fish, stop having babies, or you will contribute to your over stocking problem, I love guppies but I have 3 tanks to accommodate them and stop them breeding randomly.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can dose salt just regular ordinary table salt Just no iodized salt big no no. This helps them to breathe easier i dont know the ratio so youd have to look it up this is only a temporary solution while you sort out the main problem.
Salt water is harder to start out as a beginner probably costs a little more too freshwater can become complicated the more you progress like a planted aqaurium or types of fish which require alot more time and effort all you need with a basic freshwater tropical is a heater a decent filter some lights and a test kit. Have you tried looking for a second hand tank it would shed loads off the prices an sometimes people just want to get rid of them so they sell them for nothing.

Use seachem stability or a live bacteria additive it
Will help with establishing more bacteria to eat nitrate ammonia and nitrites worked for me
Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Magic
You can dose salt just regular ordinary table salt Just no iodized salt big no no. This helps them to breathe easier i dont know the ratio so youd have to look it up this is only a temporary solution while you sort out the main problem.
Salt water is harder to start out as a beginner probably costs a little more too freshwater can become complicated the more you progress like a planted aqaurium or types of fish which require alot more time and effort all you need with a basic freshwater tropical is a heater a decent filter some lights and a test kit. Have you tried looking for a second hand tank it would shed loads off the prices an sometimes people just want to get rid of them so they sell them for nothing.

Use seachem stability or a live bacteria additive it
Will help with establishing more bacteria to eat nitrate ammonia and nitrites worked for me
Thanks for the salt thing! I will try it, I have been looking for a used one but in my area the "used" ones are nearly brand new, someones impulse purchase that they no longer want but they are charging just a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the pet store. The live bacteria, would that be my cycle product?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeh cycle is your live bacteria its a shame about the tank prices in your area
Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Joyaust I have moved the fish to my other tanks and it's no longer overstocked and my levels are more normal now ph is still a little low but I will keep doing water changes.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com