Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also could I loss the bacteria in the tank without an ammonia source. Tanks has been running about 22 hours. I did drop in 5 or 6 flakes of food about 8 hours ago. Should I test the tank or what until I get fish in it to see if ammonia if present. It was a 0 this morning.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigge_al
I also added Prime and Stabilty to the tank. Is it possible that when I add the fish that I will see excellent result from starter media. The media I got came from a pet store that has all there tanks (about 50 to 60) running on one filter and I got that used filter.
So you have a filter that has been running on an established tank? If so, you might not even see any spikes in ammonia or nitrite. Keep a close eye on your parameters for a few weeks and once everything is stable you can add more fish slowly.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

So it sounds like I need fish sooner than later to get ammonia in the tank to save the bacteria.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Also could I loss the bacteria in the tank without an ammonia source. Tanks has been running about 22 hours. I did drop in 5 or 6 flakes of food about 8 hours ago. Should I test the tank or what until I get fish in it to see if ammonia if present. It was a 0 this morning.
You won't loose them in 22 hours it takes days I think. You can test it but a few flakes of food wont cause much ammonia at all. It sounds like your right to add a few fish.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
So it sounds like I need fish sooner than later to get ammonia in the tank to save the bacteria.
Yes. Just don't add too many at once and keep testing to make sure the BB can take the load before adding any more.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, Do you think 5 glofish danos will be to many or should I go with one of my other choices of fish. 3 dalmation mollies, 3 mickey mouse platys, 5 neon tetras, or 1 male betta.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Thanks, Do you think 5 glofish danos will be to many or should I go with one of my other choices of fish. 3 dalmation mollies, 3 mickey mouse platys, 5 neon tetras, or 1 male betta.
Is the tank a 30g? The 5 danios should be fine.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes 30 gal with 40g filter and 2 22 inch air wands hooked up. Pictures of tank are on my log.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...og-179516.html

Tags
ammonia, sting, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com