Confused with cycling in 5g hex...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I did the large water change and that seemed to make it all right. Ammonia went to 0, nitrites 0 and the nitrates were around 10 or so. I am drip acclimating him right now. Will post how he does later....

Still not happy with Mr. Betta's behavior/coloring. I wish I knew if he was sick or just old and at "his time". I moved him over to the 5g hex last night and the parameters are still fine this morning, but he just is too lethargic as he has been for a while even in his hospital tank. I posted pictures to show what he usually is doing. He will come to the top for air, but then goes straight back down to the bottom and lays there. He used to be this brilliant blue color and as you can see in the pictures he is very pale and fins just lay there. He has never seemed the same since I treated him for fin rot a few weeks ago. He recovered from that (as in the fin rot went away), but he hasn't acted the same since. What would you all do?

Well you're right, he doesn't look very good. :( But I'm out of ideas as to what more you could do for him right now. It could just be old age setting in.

Sorry, JohnPaul, I PM'ed you before seeing your post. The only other thing I can find about betta illnesses lists all of his symptoms as possibly bacterial in nature. I have his hospital tank set up again and have treated it with a combo bacterial/fungal med. Would it be worth giving that a try or not?

How long have you had him? He does seem pretty beat up. The antibiotics may be worth a try. Is he eating? I hate to say it but I don't think he is going to make it.

We have had him for about 6-9 months now. He was fine until a few weeks ago when he developed the beginnings of fin rot. I put him in a hospital tank and treated him with betta fix for a week. Then, I added him back to his tank (that I had kept the beneficial bacteria alive in) and he immediately started going down hill again. I put him back in the hospital tank with no meds and he seemed to improve. Was eating and even making bubbles, but the last couple of days he had stayed primarily on the bottom but would come up for air and to eat. Now that I added him to the 5g he seems to be just hanging at the bottom except for coming up for air. Should I try putting him in the hospital tank with the meds I mentioned?

Rich's advice is good. Your poor betta is really perplexing us all I think. :(

okay...I think I have tried that and never got many responses...that is why I started PM'ing people this morning....lol....

Back
Top Bottom