Considering angelfish for my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've always loved angelfish, and am considering them for my new aquarium. What is the least gallon amount that is suitable for angelfish? I only have a 10 gallon tank that I still have to get setup and let cycle, but Im trying to get some ideas of what kind of fish I want when the time comes for the tank to be ready for fish.

Angelfish are best kept in pairs or groups of 4+ to avoid aggression. A breeding pair can be kept in a minimum of 20g if they're alone. Otherwise I'd say 55g is the minimum for a group. Though they look small in the pet store, angelfish do get really big.

There are plenty of fish that will go into a 10g, but unfortunately not angelfish.

--Adeeb

Darn I was afraid of this. Thanks for the info. I will be doing fresh water, I've got plenty of other options to explore. Thanks!

IME, angels get too big for 10g tanks in the long run. A lot of the commonly available fish are not suited for 10g tanks, but there are still some really cool options out there for you to look into.
Try researching green neons, Daisy's ricefish, ember tetras, chili rasbora, dwarf spot rasbora, emerald rasbora, least killfish, pygmy sunfish, Asian stone catfish, dwarf cories, shell dwelling cichlids, scarlet badis, betta, Norman's lampeye killifish, clown killifish, guppies, Endler's livebearers, platies, nerite snails, red cherry shrimp, ruby tetras, jellybean tetras, croaking gouramis, sparkling gourami, sparkle eye white clouds, celestial pearl danios, and dwarf puffers. There are some others too. :) Keep in mind that not all of these are compatible, so they need to be researched for compatibility. Feel free to ask more questions as well.

I've mainly had tetras in the past, also some mollies before. My next preference is to have some tiger barbs if I can't have angelfish... So I may go that route :) thanks for all the suggestions though!

Welcome to AA! I've moved your thread to the Getting Started section to help you get more responses. :)

I agree with the others about the angelfish. I'd actually recommend a 29 gallon for a pair, but you'll get differing opinions on that. Unfortunately, I'd have to recommend against tiger barbs for a 10 gallon. They get bulky and are really too active for the space that a 10 gallon would afford them.

I agree with severum_mama about tiger barbs. They are indeed a very pretty fish, but unfortunately they are a bit active and large for 10g. I suggest trying to look into a few of the fish I suggested. There are some great fish that will do very well in a 10g tank.

i agree with severum mama and absoluteangel14 about the barbs and the angels, but absoluteangel14 also gave you some great options :) remember to do research before you buy though.

I'm still in the research mode anyway haven't gotten around to getting the tank ready to cycle yet. I've mainly just had different kinds of tetras, some guppies and mollies my last go around.

Well, when you get mts (multiple tank syndrome) like us, you could always buy another tank later down the road for some angels. For instance, i got a 29 gal for a pair. :)

The 40 gallon that I had the last time I had fish would've been the perfect tank to have angels, I always said I should've gotten angels when I had the chance but never did. I've been keeping an eye on craigslist and local ads to find a bigger aquarium. I'll have angels one day!

I'm right with you, I love Angels. I have a 55 so room wasn't the issue, it was that my Glowlight Tetras would end up tasty snacks down the road. :eek:

I say if you want to do community then check out the sparkling gourami, they are really cute :) or if you're fine with a species tank then dwarf puffer is definitely what I'd go with! Absolutely adorable

Back
Top Bottom