Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Considering fish

I've got a 55 gallon that I just bought and haven't started my fishless cycle yet, but looking ahead, what are some fish that will be compatible with ghost shrimp (4 or 5) I think those are the little ones, and the snails that roam the sides? Anything wrong with having these two together, or any forseeable problems?

Old 11-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

What fish made you want the tank? You won't get anywhere asking other people what they like.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm very open to fish. I like the shrimp, but just want something compatible.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

If you like shrimp then you should plan the tank around them. That means you need to stick to very small, peaceful fish that will not bother the shrimp. Most likely you will want to try some of the fancier shrimp like cherry, bumblebee, red crystal, etc. As far as fish go my top choice would be galaxy rasboras (aka celestial pearl danios). They stay small, maxing out at 1". They are very peaceful, love planted tanks just like shrimp do, and will even breed for you. A large school of them would look spectacular. Other microrasboras would be ideal as well.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Look It Up

As Fishguy said you have a lot of options for a 55. I'm wondering if he misread the post though and thought you have 5 gals and not 55. Although I know nothing about shrimp so maybe he's right. You certainly could do nano fish in 55 gal, but you'd also be open to many more options I think. I'm not a stocking expert by any means so I'm not able to help recommend much off-hand but I'm sure others will chime in. You could also do a Google Search for stocking 55 gal and see what others come up with.

P.S. If you haven't seen it the fishless cycle guide link is in my signature (new empty tank); it'll be a big help!
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com