Controlling snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sieski

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have new snails appeared in 2 weeks. I haven't a clue where the y come from as I have apple snails and they supposedly lay eggs above the waterline? Haven't seen any though.

I read somewhere here clown loaches would be good but they grow very big. Is there any other fish that will eat baby snails and leave my other snails alone? they are all 1 inch plus now.

Bengal Loach, Scarf Botia, Queen Loach, Indian Loach, Botia dario

was my thoughts any other reccomendations?

Also I wouldn't say I over feed. twice a day a small pinch if that.

You can also trap the snails. Get a new salt shaker, remove the top, put lots of dark green, leafy lettuce in it. Don't use iceberg. At lights out put the salt shaker in the tank. When you turn the lights on, you should have trapped a bunch of snails. You can just remove any big snails you want to keep.

The babies are no doubt some kind of pest snail, as you said-apple snail eggs are pretty easy to see. I just squish pest snails when I see them.

Before adding any loaches what size is your tank?? Remember they will look at your apple snail and mostly say "dinner"

I am one of those pro snail people. They will alert you to water quality before any signs of stress on the fish. My favorite angelfish was saved because when I turned on the light all the snails were trying to escape. I grabbed the hose and started a water change. I tested some of the water and found the ammonia had spiked for some reason. By the time I had started putting water into the tank my angel was stressing terribly.

If you squish them be careful there is some wicked infections you can get if the shell happens to nick you.

Put a leave of lettuce in the tank and take them out that way if you get to many. Then set up another tank for a dwarf puffer.

I squish them with a plastic spoon (safety first!)

And yes, many loaches will kill apples snails :(

you might want to get assassin snails. they will keep them in check. though really you can just smash them or remove them. snails really dont hurt anything.

I might be wrong but won't an assassin snail get the apple snail?

I always use the snail trapping method as well. It works great and you have a chance to save the ones you want. As for loaches....I have a yoyo loach. He is worthless. So worthless that he now lives with 4 mystery snails whom he never bothers in the least. He prefers algae pellets, brine shrimp and bloodworms it seems. Beware the worthless loach :D

Back
Top Bottom