convert salt to fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjd506

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 65gal saltwater tank with dual Powerhead 402 pumps and dual under gravel filter plates. Manufacture states it can be used for salt or fresh. Would this be adequate or do I need other equipment? Have a heater, lights etc.

Welcome to AA!!!

The tank would be more than adequate. Most folks here, including me would recommend scrapping the UGF and getting yourself a good cannister filter. UGFs can me real nitrate factories.

UGF's work, and after you clean out the tank, if it was adequate for SW it will be adequate for FW. However, you will find that many, many FW fishkeepers prefer HOB or canister filters instead of UGF. Remember, the SW nitrifying bacteria are different than the FW nitrifying bacteria, so you can't just swap out the water and add fish. The mulm in the SW UGF should be removed, gravel cleaned, FW added and start from scratch.

I did what Tom said. However, I have a cannister filter.... It can be done!

Side note, I sold my live rock for a bunch of credit to the local store.... Something to try if you have a store that will take it. That stuff is expensive and I hate to waste it.

Back
Top Bottom