Cool Tank Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juventus7shop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, everyone. I'm new to this forum and the world of fish keeping. I've already read a lot about it and it seems like something I want to do. With Christmas coming up, I was considering getting a 55 gallon tank. What would be some cool stocking ideas for a newbie 55 gal? Thanks in advance!

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I would be interested in smaller or even possibly larger sizes. I just want some ideas to kind've confirm that I really want to take this on.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Rainbow fish are fun. Boesmani and Turquoise are my favorites.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks brennae! About how many rainbow fish are recommended for a tank? Also, is a 55 gal a good starting size?

I keep mine in a 55. It's a great size to start with. It's harder to control things in a small tank. One little mistake and it's done for. You have leeway with the bigger tanks. You could do like 10 rainbows and some corys or plecos for bottom of the tank action but I wouldn't do both. Really you are going to want a canister filter. Fluval are good and easy easy to deal with. Very quiet also. 306 or even 406 would be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sounds great! Thanks for the help!

A pair of Angels would be pretty cool. My blue pair is amazing social smart and cool looking. If you want SUPER interactive maybe some type of wet pet cichlid that's good in a 55? SA cichlids maybe? Not really a cichlid expert. Rainbows are cool too. A cool type
Of
Pleco would be nice too. All depends on what you like and what you want ! :)

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

I've been looking and I really like Gouramis. Are those compatible with cichlids? Also, how many of them could I have?

I would recommend an Amazonian tank with some cory cats, tetras, and SA Cichlids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course the temperament of those cichlids chosen would have to be considered. Rams are a good option.

I also agree Angelfish are great. I kept them for a friend for a short time after her tank started to leak. They are great fish and everyone seems to love them.

What fish could I keep with Angelfish?

Larger tetras, gouramis, danios, rasboras, and cory cats should all work.

You'd need to buy several juveniles and raise them up and see what sexes you get then trade in the females

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sounds good. Definitely will consider a tank like that. How many Angelfish are recommended? Thanks for all your help guys!

Alright everyone, I'm back. So today I went to my lfs, and I have a better idea of what I'm going for now. I think I want to have some Gouramis, probably a small group or just one larger Gourami. For bottom-dwellers, I will go with some Yoyo loaches or Corys or both. What I don't know about is what else I can put in the tank. I'm considering a school or two of smaller fish. However, I'm not sure if I could include a larger fish, or what other middle-level swimmers I could include. As always, all answers are welcome and greatly appreciated!

Alright, here's a stocking list i got from someone.
4x Pearl Gourami

1x Platinum Angel

5x Denison Barbs

12x Silvertip Tetra

1x BN Pleco (Gold color)

8x Emerald or Panda Cory

First off, would this work or is it overstocked? I like the number and layout of species but I was wondering if I could substitutes some of the species. For example, what are some Gouramis similar in size and temperament to Pearls (since I don't think I could get those around here). Also, what are some acceptable subs for the tetras and barbs? Thanks in advance for your answers!

I'm no gourami expert, fair warning, but perhaps sparkling gouramis? I know multiple dwarf males is a recipe for disaster. I think the opalines are a larger chill gourami, but again don't hold me to it. I'm just spitballing ideas for some others to judge.

Clown barbs are cool.

Could I do a pair of larger cichlids in place of the barbs?

Back
Top Bottom