Coolest looking fish that get big

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikariajk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
which fish are very cool and become very big? (except cold water fish). I'm new to the Hobbie and would like ideas for fish.

If you like African Cichlids, the Nimbochromis Fuscotaeniatus grows to about nine inches. A very cool lookiing & colorful cichlid. Make sure you do a lot of research & have a pretty big aquarium before diving into African Cichlds.

Attachments

• 20191023_205316.jpg
    20191023_205316.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 81
I find knifefish very interesting, they got over 12" long. Other eel-like fish are also cool.

I've always wanted to have an Oscar or two, but my GF isn't a fan of them for some reason.

Bichirs!! They get big. Some species really really big. So do some research on tank size. They have a lot of personality though. Very interactive and intelligent fish. Mine comes out of its cave when I call its name. Has played hide and seek with me. Let's me pet it. Plays with cat. He's almost like a waterpuppy. Results and personalities differ I'm sure.
I got mine on accident while brand new and trying to breed guppies in a 20 gallon. I saw a little spikey thing the size of my pinky. I asked what it was and she said "a dinosaur fish." I asked if it would eat my guppies I'm breeding. She said maybe if one got too close but probably not. Hahaha. I didnt have guppies very long. I cant keep any "real" fish with him. He's now over 9 inches in a 55 gallon
bichir-chart-jpg.1228865

Attachments

• 1001366-9b34705741f823cf88f30e06bdd26084.jpg
    1001366-9b34705741f823cf88f30e06bdd26084.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 57
"Big" can mean different things to different people and in perspective.

What size tank are you wanting to have?

Fish can be found in adult size from 3/4" to more than a foot - like up to 3' or Red tail catfish gigantic.

And whether they need to be in groups or kept individually.

Koi
Asian Arowana
FW Stingrays
Bichirs
Pike
Large types Silver Dollar fish
Tinfoil Barbs, over 12-14". Should be in a group

IMHO Clown Loaches are really beautiful. Ideally need a really large tank like min. 150G

Back
Top Bottom