Coralife lighting for FW and rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta4me

Aquarium Advice Activist
Good Morning. I'm starting a new 55 gal that I've mentioned in another thread. The canapy came with a light fixture and two bulbs (The genius I got this from glued the fixture to the canapy, but that is another rant) LOL.
There is one Coralife standard Fluo. bulb and one Coralife Actinic blue bulb in the fixture, are both of these bulbs safe to use with fresh water?

My second question, he gave me a bucket of nice natural looking white stones, small dia. I do not know the history of this tank, so should I boil the rocks or just rinse really well? They do have a strong amonia or bleach solution odor to them....
Editing to say that the odor on the rocks is indeed vinegar and not amonia or bleach.
Thanks!

The bulbs are fine for FW ... some people like the look of actinics with tropical fish. However, if you are growing plants, the actinics won't give out light usable for plants, and you might have to swap that bulb to get enough light.

I would either boil or bleach the rock <trust no one!> Then rinse well with water. In case the guy bleached the rocks (or if you used bleach), the last rinse should be with water with a double or triple dose of dechlorinator.

Thank you! I've rinsed, boiled, rinsed, dechlor rinsed all my rocks and think they will be ready to go in after I get my tank painted today.

Back
Top Bottom