Corian Tank log (3/23)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am amazed at how well this is going...My water is turning over and stable...filter is working great...Temp is steady...Plants are looking great...well except for the melon sword....Yes I have more pics, but I want to show the plant growth more than the fish...

Banana plant was just a tubber when I got it last Friday...Now it has sprouted 3 stems about a 1/2" long...
img_780580_0_23e36a4c9bba5cb2b447b0042cf60466.jpg

crypt has some new leaves at the bottom....
img_780580_1_6fdf55500495097d9644473e9f6527e7.jpg

unidentified sword has some new growth...
img_780580_2_97aa88578bf4e7d0c4b56f81154a1952.jpg

can't get a decent shot of the hornwort....I thought it may be pearling ,but I think it's just catching bubbles...

some of the leaves on the melon sword are falling apart, but not showing well in the pic...at least it gives us a rare shot of Goldieshawn...
img_780580_3_d3227da41fcaee384e20f7624b320631.jpg

OK, seriously, if you go into business, I want to hire you. My poor husband was forced to constantly endure me wondering how the Corian tank was going when you slowed down for a while and then had to stand at my shoulder and see every new pic you posted. He's going to hate that you're posting a photo log here now. Bwahahahaha!

Not in the spirit of the fish and all, but I'm curious about what wood, stain and varnish you used on your stand and canopy. The finished color is close to what I've been looking for to match the antique wood paneling in my living room.

And you know what you need for this tank...more TETRAS! Everybody needs more tetras and especially you.

Thank you Cassie,

Not in the spirit of the fish and all,

But in the spirit of the project, yes.... The wood is alder (grain similar to cherry) with a honey stain and clear topcoat...

as for fish we are looking at some GBRs...maybe a couple gouramis...

1 week later and all is well...

Wanted to do a PWC on Friday to test the sump idea, do a little cleanup, and lower the water level so we could do some other work.

The PWC went like clockwork…I pulled the media baskets from the sump so I could vacuum the tank into it, drained, and refilled…Took 20 min. to do a 25% water change with no mess, or fuss…Tested later that night, all clear…I love bio filters…

We also fixed the overflow problem (2 neon’s swam through the slots, and got pulled thru the filter)....I slid a piece of plastic canvas behind the cover to minimize the opening…no more suicide rides.

We also decided to do a little landscaping…We added a Terra Cotta cave and some stones….Moved some plants..

I’m still amazed at how the plants are growing…Anacharis is an easy plant to begin with, but it is sprouting roots and new leaves…unidentified sword is forming new leaves, and standing tall on it’s own…Sprouts on the Banana plant are getting longer, even though the pleco’s move it around at night…Some of the bigger leaves on the crypt are dying back, but there are a lot of new ones forming…I trimmed all the dead leaves off the Melon Sword and pulled rest of the potting media from it’s roots(have to wait and see on that one).

We also added 2-lavender Gouramis…We looked at GBR’s, but they were in a tank with bigger GGR’s and they were beat down pretty bad...I didn’t think the golds were that aggressive…

Almost forgot the pics…

Here are the new additions, Itsy and Bisty (not sure if they are a pair, but the do like each other)…They are getting along fine with their tank mates, and filling out the top nicely.
img_782141_0_398c07a0d70b2235c313bf6b449fdf6d.jpg

Cocco enjoying a snack.
img_782141_1_55d22bd4e9f91575be0fc42091254a53.jpg

Goldieshawn trying to enjoy a snack.
img_782141_2_9b78aabcfc2f1bbc40640fece016b01e.jpg

A shot of the still unoccupied cave.
img_782141_3_d9729083bfcce492bdcbf8c2b8da5005.jpg

Well I actually just joined and happened to stumble accross your original DIY post and well after about an hour of reading, here I am. First off, you are one skilled individual, the craftsmanship is amazing and the fact that you decided that you would make a tank out of corian is also mind blowing. I did find it funny that your are so skilled in fabricating corian and have access to it, but yet you have formica countertops, haha sorry I just thought that was funny :lol:

Anyway, good job and look forward to more DIY from you. Aloha

Thank you mauinokaoi,,, but 34sq/ft of scrap corian is a lot of seaming

It's been awhile and the tank is now healthy so I thought I should update.

I had a bad case of ick (noticed it on the clowns while takeing pictures for the last update)...I tried the heat method, but the clowns were suffering so I decided to medicate...In the end I lost all of the cherry barbs, the three clowns, and 3 neons...(3 of the barbs and the 3 neons died in a water slide accident because the holes in the overflow plate were to big)...I have since changed the overflow for a more fish friendly version...

My water parameters have remained consistent, but the nitrates don't seem to rise above 5.0ppm(think it might have something to do with the corian)...not sure but that might also be a reason for not having any algae issues(I thought i might with 1.9wpg / 10hrs per day)...I have been doing 25 percent PWC every week...along with a poop vac (stupid plecos)...filter has been working fine (sometimes have a hard time getting the water levels to balance after a PWC)....we changed the overflow plate...added a glass cover, and did some landscapeing(surprising how much the plants have filled in)

The plants are doing well except for the crypt(could be from the transplant, could be melting, could be light) giving it a little more time before I move it out....swords are standing tall...the anacharis is tall and I've divided it up once already...the hornwort has also been divided(I didn't notice the growth until looking at earlier pictures)...

Fish are doing well now, pleco's are getting fat on algae wafers...3 remaining neons are eating well and have bold color, and the gouramis look great (didn't think I would enjoy them as much as I do)...We got 2-bosemani rainbows, 4-head & taillight tetras, and 3 more neons waiting in QT(may be there awhile, they have some kind of fungus)...doing better ( in another post...

I'll update again when we add the new fish...

here's the pics
img_788832_0_e5edfa50e13e94d7da49fa1f49bcf13c.jpg

img_788832_1_a14f84e5dbea3b019ec7dd3421ffadd3.jpg

img_788832_2_ebb862b978bf1a98c0ece0f438dbccfc.jpg

img_788832_3_0c3b9a5f20fa73211fa46dbb97ef3438.jpg

Thanks guys

I was begining to think I was doing something wrong, but now I belive it is the stock that I have gotten, and what's available in the shops...(we lost 5 of 6 neons of the fish we put in QT to some sort of fungus, the rest are doing fine)...Next time we get livestock we are looking for a breeder or maybe a society auction...

I forgot to mention in the changes we made to the tank...I enlarged the holes in the spraybars, and turned them in a little...now the fish hang out at the top more often seeing the current is not as strong

Back
Top Bottom