Corian Tank log (3/23)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redswi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to start out by saying "This is a great place to be". The information, suggestions, and criticism, has taught me a great deal. I hope to continue to learn, and assist where I can...

As some of you know I have been building a complete DIY set up, consisting of a tank made of Corian, wet/dry filter, stand, and canopy...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209

Well...I'm done...Time to get up and running...I want fish

Tank specs: 40gal planted
wet/dry w/10gal sump
screw in flourecent light @ 1.9 wpg
DIY co2 (pending)
Schultz aquatic soil subsrate

Plants:
Java moss(attached to driftwood)
Hornwort
Bannana plant
Anacharis
3 yet to be identified

Water: (Just filled Saturday night awaiting cycle)

Fish: (I bought these Saturday afternoon,They are in a 55gal QT)
6 - Neon Tetras
6 - Cherry Barbs (3-male / 3-female)
3 - Clown loaches
1 - Chocolate Albino Pleco
1 - Gold spot Pleco

We hooked up the filter Sat. afternoon and wanted to get the plants in while we filled...Unfortunatly the camera batteries needed charging, so we didn't get pics while setting it up....We did get some after shots...

img_779007_0_5f472c4ad8927ddcb5f09799c1c55fad.jpg

We could hardly see while we put in the plants, but the water cleared up really quick
img_779007_1_55628f83dc168a5c75b5c7243088a7e2.jpg

Crystal clear by morning....

These are the swords I need help ID ing...
img_779007_2_5eb7052102394ac786451ed81b692fe6.jpg

img_779007_3_469bd33306df9f50000e9247b61c99c8.jpg

This one was marked as "Melon Sword", but I'm not sure...
img_779007_4_8309f7aad635376fc57164668caa7ebd.jpg

Sooooo??? What do you think???

I love it. Any wagers on the total number of negative comments there will be on this tank? 0? 1?

Very nice. The last is a melon sword looks just like mine. The photo above it looks like a crypt not a sword. Your tank looks great you did incredible work.

I love it. Any wagers on the total number of negative comments there will be on this tank? 0? 1?
I just found out that my sister in Chicago has been following the build...Do you think she could comment....noooooooo

The last is a melon sword looks just like mine
for some reason I was thinking 1st pic was...thought it looked like honeydew

what bulbs did you end up using?
daylight 5600k, 2 @ 13w, and 2 @ 23w...I will change to all 23w when I add the co2

I just found out that my sister in Chicago has been following the build...Do you think she could comment....noooooooo

I haven't been able to reply because for some reason this forum doesn't load on my Mac. Just for you, I've plugged in the Dell tonight.

I just want to say that my brother is AMAZING! This fish tank is BEAUTIFUL just like everything else he builds. I've told him that he should go into business, it looks like he's got a few people here that might be interested.

BTW reds, my birthday is coming up soon, my angels could use a bigger tank, LOL! javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

sashablue said:
I haven't been able to reply because for some reason this forum doesn't load on my Mac. Just for you, I've plugged in the Dell tonight.

I just want to say that my brother is AMAZING! This fish tank is BEAUTIFUL just like everything else he builds. I've told him that he should go into business, it looks like he's got a few people here that might be interested.

BTW reds, my birthday is coming up soon, my angels could use a bigger tank, LOL! javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

Always good to see siblings get along! I'm on a Mac (Microsoft sucks worse than not having fish) and I don't have any issues. Use Camino or Firefox for a browser.

red... Walmart sells 6500k Daylight bulbs at 26W in a 2 pack... they ran me 6.44 per 2-pack. i really like the reflector, is that actual mirror you used?

I just want to say that my brother is AMAZING!

I love you too

is that actual mirror you used?

Formica metal laminate w/mirror finish...had an extra sheet left over at the shop...I'll look at those bulbs...

In order to speed up the cycle when we were setting this up, we used 1/2 the media from the test filter, and the other 1/2(including floss) was floating in the test tank for a couple of days...Saturday evening after everything had settled we tested the water...
NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 5.0
PH = 7.4
We dosed NH3 to 2ppm

Test results Sunday night = exactly the same...converted 2ppm NH3...We dosed again...

Test results from tonight = Totaly converted...Nitrates a little higher...decide not to dose...lets add the fish...

Here are some shoots of the fish we got on Saturday in their permanent home...

img_779455_0_fd2aac26adf7ece52251f7d679eef2f4.jpg

can't get the 3 clowns to pose together...
img_779455_1_06b3d83ec2f405d99f7b19da2ba8c94d.jpg

the neons try to get into every shot...
img_779455_2_8401d90319b2215247572cd609f400a0.jpg

The barbs, and another clown....check out the bud on the banana plant...
img_779455_3_1cdbf56fa3de82750a9ce1d6246b64ce.jpg

Goldieshawn the gold spot pleco....
img_779455_4_655255df5a43711920ee94aded37c646.jpg

and cocco the chocolate albino pleco....thought plecoperson would appreciate that shot...

all are doing well...had a bite to eat...and are awaiting the rest of their tankmates...
any suggestions???...I am looking at GBR, but not sure what else...

I have a FW tank with plants in it also but it took some time for the tank to be able to support the plants....what are you doing for those plants in the meantime until the tank catches up?

Nice job redswi! Love those loaches. :D Where did you get that crypt from? I've never seen one with so many leafs.

I have one question about the overflow cover though. Those slots look a bit big, can any fish fit through them?

what are you doing for those plants in the meantime until the tank catches up?
I have had luck in the past with a layered soil substrate and fert tabs...This is a first with Shultze aquatic soil...the plant had good roots so I fertilized and planted deep...well see how it works out...

Where did you get that crypt from?
A LFS that "MSU Fan" told me about...They had just received a shippment in that day...

Those slots look a bit big, can any fish fit through them?
At 1/4" only the small neons can...I'm going to have do change that...

redswi,

i just got some information that the straight foldover type of CF bulb actually produces less restrike... so gives a more even light, even if the rating is the same.

that being said, the spiral bulbs are so much cheaper, so I'd only use the fold over style if i got them on clearance! :)

kennef said:
redswi,

i just got some information that the straight foldover type of CF bulb actually produces less restrike... so gives a more even light, even if the rating is the same.

that being said, the spiral bulbs are so much cheaper, so I'd only use the fold over style if i got them on clearance! :)

straight foldover type? example please.

Btw, what is that in your avatar? Looks like a salamander orgy! lol

redswi said:
They are too big...found a neon in the sump when I got home tonight..
RIP little guy...

Sorry to hear that. You could put some type of screen on it. Maybe plastic canvas but you would have to find a way to attach it. Marines epoxy?

Lisa,,,no comment on cocco???...I thought I would make her my avitar...
Came here this AM just to comment on her. [insert hearts here]

LOVE Cocopuff! Maybe when she hits 11" or so you will have to send her to me. Wait a year, though, until I have my 180 gallon! Fred wants to meet her.

img_780233_0_1aa616f7a4a8ce5fb6842d0f6827a247.jpg

They are too big...found a neon in the sump when I got home tonight..
RIP little guy...

Murderer!!!! LOL! Luckily you won't be forced to bury that one in the back yard and have a little funeral.

The tank is looking real good. I like the fish selection.

Back
Top Bottom