cory help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spencelee10

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got 2 spotted cories to help clean up my tank a little and they're doin great and fun to watch but one is acting very eratic and shakes violently around the tank up to the top of the water. Is something wrong with him? Is it my water conditions or just because its his first day in the tank?

What are your water parameters?

Does he stay at the top? Cories are goofy fish. My pandas will sit motionless on a rock or my moss tree, then, all of a sudden, dart around the tank like mad. If it's just an occasional burst of activity, I'd say it's normal.

Ammonia is 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 6. PH is a little high at 7.6. And hes been going crazy since i put him in the tank

I agree with BigJim.

I have Julii corys in one tank, I have 5 and they once in a while go all the way to the top of the tank at a really fast speed.
In my son's tank (10G), we have 4 panda corys, and they are all day long like crazy, up and down, right to left, and suddently they stop an hide under the driftwood and stay there for a while.... kind of funny but I'm assuming that this behavior is normal.

:)

Yes they are my faveourite fish to keep. I did a profile on the bronze cory if yo want to check it out. They have tons of personality and are a really friendly and hardworking fish!

When they dart up to the top it's to get air :)

Mine used to do that more, but since the discus joined us they seem more content to stay at the bottom. Maybe it's a comfort thing.

Just fed the tank for the first time with the cories and they're sooo fun to watch! A great addition to the tetras

Just fed the tank for the first time with the cories and they're sooo fun to watch! A great addition to the tetras
I agree - I have 2 in my 46 gal and 2 in a QT and they are so cute! They are all over both of the tanks - it's quite fun. They explore every nook and cranny.

Alright I have the bottom of my tank covered now and the tetras take care of the middle is there anything I could add to take care of the top? I currently have 8 tetras that all shoal together and the 2 cories

That could just simply be the Cory s personality. Those are crazy little fishes!

-Dylan

I'm finding that information on cory cats on these boards seems to be all over the place.

When I was starting my 20g high and suggested that I was thinking about putting cory cats in it, someone on the boards mentioned that it wouldn't be a good idea since a 20 high has less ground area for a cory to forage. I was also told that cory cats are best kept in groups of 4+, which would also be too many for a 20g high.

Now I'm reading that people have cory cats (and not the pygmies) in tanks as small as a 10g, and also in few numbers than 4.

What's the consensus?

My 2 in my 10th gallon seem very happy. They play with eachother a lot and even play with my tetras

I think people get a little to caught up with guidelines. It's true that some should not b broken and none wants to see the death of a fish but I feel like as long as my fish are happy and active then everything ok

I'm not saying that people shouldn't keep happy cory cats in whatever they have them in, but was just curious why the varying opinion on them.

When it was suggested that I don't keep them in my tank, the reasoning seemed sound enough. I know they're a shoaling fish, so 4+ is usually wisest, and allowing them adequate floor space to scavange is also a good idea. That's why I went with ghost shrimp in my 20g high instead.

spencelee10 said:
Alright I have the bottom of my tank covered now and the tetras take care of the middle is there anything I could add to take care of the top? I currently have 8 tetras that all shoal together and the 2 cories

Zebra danios are top dwellers and they are fun to watch if you get like 10

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom