Corydora substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IzzySuite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I am nearing the end of my fishless cycle (I'm saying that to be positive, I really have no. Idea how much longer I have lol), and am starting to plan what to stock for my 10 gallon tank. Dwarf Cory's seem to be high on the recommend list, and have really checked into em and just love these guys, so I think I'm gonna stock a small school of em for the bottom of the tank.

My question is: I have already used the bigger gravel for the bottom. I know what the Cory's need as far as substrate, and that this kind of gravel would be a no no, but I have already got the cycle going and don't wanna replace it at this stage and lose all that bacteria. Now I wouldn't just stock it and leave em be at all. But what do you guys think if I could push all the gravel substrate more towards one side or the back section of the tank, and add the sand to create a majority sand bed for them? Would they still be liable to try to cruise the gravel and get tore up, or do you think they would stay more to the sand?

I would think in nature there's areas where the substrate wouldn't be to their liking, but then again, we're talking a 10gal tank, not a huge area. My main concern is not putting them into a bad spot, so if you don't think it'd work, I'd be ok with that. Maybe I can slowly replace the gravel with sand before I finish the cycle, but I'm sure unless I'm quite slow it's gonna set me back some. Which is fine too for their benefit. I wish I woulda researched substrates a little more, cuz the sand just seems wonderful for lotsa reasons.

Thanks for readin and advisin!

Thanks :) The gravel that's there now is that rocky stuff walmart sells: image-918743244.jpg It seems pretty smooth, but it could also see it being a bit abrasive too?

Thankfully I only have about an inch and a half in there, so I don't think it'd be too difficult to get the majority of it pushed outta the way without it looking terrible. Maybe it'll even add some depth to the tank lol.

Thanks :) The gravel that's there now is that rocky stuff walmart sells: It seems pretty smooth, but it could also see it being a bit abrasive too? Thankfully I only have about an inch and a half in there, so I don't think it'd be too difficult to get the majority of it pushed outta the way without it looking terrible. Maybe it'll even add some depth to the tank lol.
that will be fine. I think building up the back or even a back corner looks great. It also makes cleaning easier, as the poop will tend to collect toward the front where the substrate is lowest and where it can easily be siphoned out.

Thank you very much :) and I didn't even think of that, so bonus lol

Back
Top Bottom