Corydoras_trilineatus dying??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avendesora

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,I really need some help here! I hadve a betta and two cleaners in a 12l bedroom aquarium. The problem is that none of the Corydoras will eat anything :( I don't know what to do,I spent so much money buying them different food hoping they will eat some. They won't eat it if it's floating on the surface and they don't eat it if it's sinking down.. I bought them a few days ago,and this morning I found one Corydoras dead. And they were both swimming to surface too often and too fast,and if not,then they would simply be at the surface,make them stuck to some plant or filter that would keep them from moving by the water flow,and refuse to eat,even if I put food on top of them. Anyone has idea?:huh: :fish1:

Hi there and welcome to AA!

I think you posted this in the wrong forum. May want to ask the freshies. If I could help I would, sorry!

Test your water and post your results for the following and we can see what we can do to help you.

PH:
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:

Any signs of disease? Discoloration, streaking, redness anything at all?

12l is only a 3g tank. I suspect your fish are suffering from toxic water conditions (ammonia and/or nitrite). The only creatures that realistically belong in this size tank are a single betta and perhaps a snail or two. You need to consider either upgrading their home or returning the cories.

+1

Aside from the fact that the tank is not appropriate for the species you have in it......

Corys are scavengers. They will not eat food within the water column or floating. They do love algae wafers and fresh veggies.

Corys can be very sensitive to new fish tanks. If they were swimming to the top a lot, they were letting you know that the oxygen content in the water is too low.

It's really important to research any fish that you are interested in purchasing BEFORE you purchase them. Then you'll see what size tank they need, which food they eat, etc.

:eek:

Get a bigger tank please or rehome it!

Dont even bother trying to make it better as it wont because it has a too smaller A tank

Thats the answer im afraid. Not the answer you wanted but that is the correct answer.

Also most corys like to be in 6s.

That little tank would make a great red cherry shrimp tank. You could have several too! They are so much fun to watch and relatively inexpensive. :)

I hope we didn't scare you away. We were all beginners at some point, and we have all overstocked a tank before we knew better (I certainly have!)

Thanks

Thanks to all :) I know it is too small,I bought it on impulse and I regret it now.. It's just that I'm a freshman on Faculty of electrical engineering and I live in Belgrade,so we give a lot of money on rent and food,since I don't live here with my family. That's why I can't buy a bigger tank,even though a want to :( For now ,what I can do to help animals around me is buy food to stray dogs,which I do pretty often,I love feeding them when I see that sad look in their eyes,and how it changes to happy:). But the fishes ,unfortunately don't seem to be my thing :/. Someone said to check Nitrate and Oxygen,how do I do that? I have seen a kit for that,but it cost here as much as a whole bigggger aquarium and have spent pretty much the same amount on just the decorations and heater and filter and fishes.. So is there some simple way to do that?

Oh and,I never intended to adopt them if a had known this. I have previosly talked a lot with the guy working at Pet center where they have all kinds of pets and pet stuff. He said,that in 12L I can freely put 4-5 fishes that move together,like tetras. And a betta,and as much corydoras as I want,since they "don't count",since they move only at the bottom -.-' And I said ok,believing he knew what he was doing..It turned out,even like this,it is bad :( I'm not sure now,but I think that the betta now has grey or white pales at his abdomen,he is blue everywhere else,I can't remember if he was blue there too,I have him only a few days.. The one corydoras that is left,I believe he has faster breathing,he constantly moves his mouth..Could that mean something?

So now I know the problem,filter was bad!! I didn't know how it was supposed to work,but apparently it was the problem,since now it stopped working :/ What do I do,I can't buy a new filter,I don't even know how and what will I eat for the next week,since I have money left for only 3 of 7 days -.- I posted on facebook and forums in here that I give away a betta to anyone who can make him live.. But how do I supply him with air 'till then? ??

I'm sorry for your situation. Although fishkeeping cost can be kept to a minimum once you have all the necessary equipment, every now and then you hit a snag like you just did. You would have to invest in the proper size tank as well as a new filter.

You can try to bring the fish to your local store and see if they will take him. Hopefully, someone will take you up on your offer and rehome him.

Until you reach a solid solution, you can do daily water changes to ensure that the toxins don't build up.

Back
Top Bottom