Could I put cories in first?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Me again ... Lol.

I plan to get most of my fish from our remarkable LFS but PetSmart has peppered Cories for $1 each till 4/27. That's a significant discount, and moves more of my budget toward the very expensive dwarf loaches I am in love with ...

This would mean putting the cories in before anyone else. Any reason why not to, if I give them appropriate food?

The scheme I am most interested in so far is ...

danio
dwarf pencilfish
something similar to but not pristellas (I find the see through body weird)
6 dwarf cories
loaches
2 sparkling gourami

The book I found this scheme in starts with danios but that's for a fishin cycle.

I don't have enough experience to honestly answer your question, but cories are peaceful so I don't see why not.

Where are you getting your sparkling gouramis from? They are on my list, too. I think it's cool that they make wired sounds when you have a group of them!!!

Our LFS (which I understand is one of the best on the west coast) has them. When I first saw them I thought they were really dull but they're growing on me. Still considering other options however.

The wet spot, Portland Oregon.

I didn't know they made sounds!

I loved the powder blue too but was concerned I keep reading they are extra delicate.

Thanks for the name of your fish store. I'm on a "want" list at one of our LFS for the sparkling. I still have about 2 weeks to go b4 I'm ready to stock my 2 aquariums.

Keep us posted as to what you pick.

Wet Spot has cories for under $2 each so never mind about getting them at Petsmart.

And after my visit there I'm thinking dwarf rainbowfish not gourami ... They got a better recommendation for hardiness and I like the look better.

Yeah my mistake with the rainbow fish, and thinking they were going to stay a golden color.

I did make up my mind, I think (another thread) ... I'll just skip the gourami or anything in their place. Within the tank it'll look weird to have two little fish, and anything mostly solidly light colored will get lost.

Thanks for all the advice! Maybe with my mind pretty much made up I won't dream of fish tonight.

Coursair, the video was an EXAMPLE of the sound a sparkling gouramis will make if in a group. There wasn't a video posted of the sparkling making noise, but they do. ( post #2 ) http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144149

Note: I said "...a noise like in this video". I was NOT saying they were the same fish. Not did I imply they were the same fish.

It seemed like the OP was saying they were the same ??? In their posts.

I see some say Sparklings "click" and some say they don't. Apparently T schalleri and T pumilia get mixed up and may even cross breed.

All 3 get called pygmy Gourami.

I just like to be clear, as so many people read our posts beyond the OP
?

The interesting factoid I saw was that Sparklings will gang up to kill Shrimp. I'd heard they were more agressive than Scarlet Badis, thus I didn't add any to my Shrimp tank. I'm going to reset my rimless 10g. I may try new Nano fish in there ?

I have a LFS about 40 min from me that sells lots of less common Nano species. Neptune Aquatics in Milpitas CA. http://www.neptuneaquatics.com

They are members of my plant club, so I get a little discount as well ?

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't making any claims about the gouramis, lol ... I didn't post scientific names because I didn't have them at hand and it's a nuisance from my iphone. But yes I use those not the common name when I buy.

Current stocking idea is:

6 zebra danio
6 harlequin raw iras
5 Pygmy cories
6 dwarf chain loaches
8 dwarf pencilfish

Aqua advisor says I'm 95% stocked and have 130% filtration capacity with this setup. I may add 2 pencilfish to help them feel safer since they are smallest and the tank isn't heavily planted. I'm not finding any 2" ish fish I'd like a pair of, among all these schools.

There are other nice Danios. I personally dislike Zebras as they are too zippy for my slower fish and can be nippy. But they are cheap and hardy and nice looking.

I like CPDs of course and Glowlight Danios ( not Glofish)
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=954+881+2536&pcatid=2536

But for a new tank Zebras are strong fish.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I like some other danios better, especially the gold ring (danio tinwini), but visually it was starting to look like the polka dotted fish tank!

But ... This book had said spotted danio, not zebra, and I do worry a little that they'll intimidate everyone. The gold ring danio is so pretty, and they told me it's nearly as sturdy as the striped ...

I'll keep thinking. I'm *this close* to printing them out on paper and taping them to my tank to see how it all looks. I'm a perfectionist with aesthetics.

Back
Top Bottom