Cracked Tank -- Is it repairable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soonerbrink

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright...first post here and have an important question....

I have an eclipse 6, and there were two scrapes/cracks about an inch long on the base.

I couldn't feel an gap where the cracks appeared, so I filled it up... and it leaks.

Took out all the rocks, water, etc, and noticed that the cracks have grown immensely. I still can't feel the cracks, but as you can tell from the towel it is leaking.

So to the question.... Is this repairable,and can I prevent them from cracking more or spreading. If it is repairable, what are the options? Silicon? Melting the plastic by heating it up? What are the chances it fails again?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 81
I am not sure if silicone will bond to the plastic but it would be worth a shot. But it probably won't stop it from growing. It might be unrepairable. But I would wait and see if someone else has response. I have repaired glass aquariums before where they have cracked but never a plastic one.

the fact that the Crack is at the bottom of the aquarium is a concern. That is where the most pressure will be.

I personally wouldn't use it or try to repair it. It will probably be a losing battle.

I wouldn't take that risk, that's a LOT of water and some dead fish if it breaks..

Back
Top Bottom