Creating a fry hideout... Advice/suggestions,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sadly no :( il keeping a very close eye on her and am very anxious myself! She's still huge and becoming more and more square, as well as her gravid spot getting darker. I keep staring at it for hours just watching her, sometimes when I think she's about to have them I'm glued to her, then she just ends up pooping and in so disappointed!

Livebearers

Sadly no :( il keeping a very close eye on her and am very anxious myself! She's still huge and becoming more and more square, as well as her gravid spot getting darker. I keep staring at it for hours just watching her, sometimes when I think she's about to have them I'm glued to her, then she just ends up pooping and in so disappointed!

Hello Mrs....

If your female is close to dropping her fry and it's been a week or so since the tank's last water change. I'd suggest doing a somewhat larger than normal change and make the replacement water slightly warmer than the tank water.

I keep large, planted tanks of Livebearers and routinely do large, weekly water changes with warmer replacement water, and more times than not, I see new fry in the tank. The pure, warmer water may be all it takes to encourage the female to drop the little ones.

B

I do wc's everyday if not daily wc's. My tank is still in the process of cycling. I was planning on doing a fishless cycle until my mom went out and bought my son 2 platy's, and one of them is the pregnant one. I test my water atleast twice if not 3 times a day and my temp is a steady 78. Next wc I do I will try Putting in warmer water to see if that encourages her. Thanks for the info!

Mrs.h2012 said:
Not real :( that's my goal eventually though!

Iv just started mine. Never kept fish in my life. And decided I wanted a planted aquarium. It's only been 2/3 weeks and I'm in the fish in cycle.
:( my levels are through the roof :(
So lots of water changes!
Anyways yes live plants look awesome and you need a good set up I think to get good lush growth.

My main reason for not having live plants yet is funding. I'm able to keep an aquarium up just fine now and buy things as needed I'm just not ready to jump into it all head first with all of the needs of a planted tank would require and the needs a cycling tank requires when first Starting (Which is What im doing Now). I'm gonna take it one step at a time and get my tank nice and established and a good healthy environment going then I'll begin adding real plants. I don't wanna get way to overwhelmed and not be able to tend to matters as they arise.

Mrs.h2012 said:
My main reason for not having live plants yet is funding. I'm able to keep an aquarium up just fine now and buy things as needed I'm just not ready to jump into it all head first with all of the needs of a planted tank would require and the needs a cycling tank requires when first Starting (Which is What im doing Now). I'm gonna take it one step at a time and get my tank nice and established and a good healthy environment going then I'll begin adding real plants. I don't wanna get way to overwhelmed and not be able to tend to matters as they arise.

That's a good Idea. I wish I had done that! My best advice I can give you is that planning is essential!! Know what u want!
I learnt the hard way! Haha
Good luck!

Back to the fry issue.... I'm doing a PWC to bring my ammonia levels down, and as anxious as I am for her to have her fry, I'm beginning to wonder if it's almost time. She is staying around the bottom and trying to hideout around the back of the tank and in the fry hideout area, and I'm noticing that instead of being mainly level like normal while swimming she is more nose down and tail upwards and wiggling her tail around a lot. I remember the time when my guppy gave birth to her fry that's how she acted, do platy's act similarly before birth?

Update! Just spotted
Several fry in my tank!!!! So excited!!!

Food for the Fry

Update! Just spotted
Several fry in my tank!!!! So excited!!!

Hello Mrs....

Time to put some dry food into a small sandwich bag and use a rolling pin to crush the food into a fine dust. The little ones will need to be fed every couple of hours. Just feed what will be eaten in a minute or so.

B

Back
Top Bottom