Creating from scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PossibleOwner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I am interested in getting some fish. I currently have three gerbils in a 15-gallon long and plan on getting a larger tank for them (Sidebar: Anyone in the Northen VA area selling a used 25-30 gallon tank?)
So, I plan on using the 15 to get some fish. I have been doing my homework of fish for the last few days, but it's rather complicated since I have the TANK, need to figure out the types of fish and environment accordingly. I'm a complete newbie, so I just wanted some advice from experienced owners.

I'm looking at some tetras and plan to get maybe 5-6 of them, and have seen that they are quite compatible with many other fish. My main question is: what kind and how many of the kind of fish can be in the tank with them? I also don't want them to breed often (tetras are good since I heard that the breeding conditions are nigh impossible).

Any advice? I'd like tropical fish that are all compatible with one another so that I can create my aquarium environment accordingly.

Welcome to AA.
My main concern would be the possibility that the gerbles have damaged the tank. Their waste could have damaged the silicone seals causing them to weaken. I would recommend that you thoroughly clean the tank and test it to see if it still holds water.
You will also need to learn about cycling.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
This covers the basics.

Welcome to AA.
My main concern would be the possibility that the gerbles have damaged the tank. Their waste could have damaged the silicone seals causing them to weaken. I would recommend that you thoroughly clean the tank and test it to see if it still holds water.
You will also need to learn about cycling.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
This covers the basics.

Yeah, I'll be sure to clean it out (I'm actually pretty OCD, so that was a given.)
Thanks for the cycling article. I read about Fishless cycling and will probably be doing that.

Back
Top Bottom