Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2004, 04:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Salt? How much, for how long, and why. lol

The why meaning what does the salt do to the nitrites?

I'm hoping it doesn't last long. We're using straight distilled water (with a few things added back in) and frankly the stares I get when I'm pushing around a cart filled with 20 gallons of water is a little unnerving. lol

We have a small distiller that will work great for weekly water changes but it just can't keep up with these big daily changes.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:39 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

The salt does not do anything at all to the nitrites, but helps the fish tolerate the nitrite being in the water. You will definitely need to be adding in trace elements to distilled water to make it okay for fish. What about "spring" water that is sold in jugs?

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did some reading up on the salt thing after your last post - the amount of salt they are recommending seems outrageous to me but you know the internet, 5000 different oppinions on everything. I will definately be looking into it though, thanks for the lead.

I'm working on my second 25% water change of the day.

We are adding Fresh Trace to make up for the lack of trace elements in the distilled water. Also Neutral Regulator to deal with the PH and KH and Equilibrium to take care of the GH.

We have tried spring water before, I can't remember why we nixed it - I think it was because the PH was outrageous but I also think that was back before we knew anything about KH and GH. Chances are we could have lowered the PH of the spring water but we never knew enough to try - we were just hunting for the perfect water right out of the jug.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:08 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I don't blame you for wanting perfect water - maybe you could find a RO unit and mix that with your tap for the perfect water.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

We just bought a distiller that seems to work really well. No waste, we figured out that the water will cost like .14 a gallon (not including the price of the distiller of course - can't figure that in until we see how many gallons we can get out of it).

Hubby won't let me mix in tap water, he is very adamant about not putting that stuff in our tank. lol I kinda wish he'd change his mind though. I think mixing in tap water to deal with the GH and trace elements is a little easier and cheaper than trying to use the additives. Hear that honey?
Old 07-17-2004, 12:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm a big fan of RO systems. Half my tap water is fully filtered and half is only partially filtered. It gets rid of all chlorine some of the hardness and leaves some of the minerals.

I looked at a distiller but the one I saw uses an electric heater to evaporate and then condense the water. Is this the way yours works? If you don't have to pay for electricty then who cares, but if you do - your water could become quite expensive. PS I totally agree with you on the tap water thing.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:58 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep, that sounds pretty much like our distiller. We do have to pay for electricity but all things considered, at roughly .14 per gallon it's a whole lot cheaper than buying it from the store.

Maybe if and when this thing dies on us we'll look into RO water. Do you have a lot of waste water with your system?

Tags
cycling, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com