Cycle Backup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, I am hereby prepared for you all to yell at me.

For the third or fourth day in a row now, I tested my water to find a nitrite reading of over 3 ppm. It seems only my water changes are bringing the levels down! My fish were all motionless (in spite of the salt effects last night) and one was floating on the top of the water, alive but looking like it might not be for long....so I transferred them over to my 38.....

At first, they started to move around to get used to their new environment. I was watching the gourami closely, but he ignored them. The swordtails kept coming right up to them and scaring them. I couldn't figure this out as the swordtails haven't really shown any interest in any of the other added fish, but then I realized the shades of green on the killies' fins were almost identical to their own, and the purple and reddish bodies were very close to the stripes on the swords. They weren't nipping or chasing the killies, it just seemed they wanted to be in the same area. The killies always ran if the swords got too close.

I come home from work to find my big loach kind of chasing one of them around. That concerned me a little, but the killie wasn't running away too fast and the fins looked fine so maybe the killie was hanging out near the bottom and the loach wanted him up higher. The gourami chased them a bit at feeding time, but these killies are SO fast they are across the tank in like a second and gourami loses track of them and stops chasing. My tank gets pretty aggressive at feeding time, and that was the only reason I was concerned. I will continue to keep a close watch on them as I do not want them to die of stress (not that I know what I can do with them, the nitrite paradise still exists in the 10 gallon).

Another question: I have now removed all sources of ammonia from the 10 gallon. How can I keep it cycled? The nitrites will come down eventually, but with no ammonia, won't those bacteria be dead in a matter of days? Then I'll be loaded up with nitrite eaters and no ammonia eaters...I have put a little fish food in the tank in the hopes it will rot and put a little ammonia in there. What else can I do? I sure can't put another fish in there until the nitrites come down...

Paul

I'm afraid I am going to lose these killies in here...:(

One of them is fritzing out...The gourami found him hiding and chased him a bit and he started going nuts. He has calmed down but I'm still afraid. They've got better places to hide but they are not searching for or finding them. I'm tempted to pull them out and put them in a 1 gallon pitcher overnight, but that won't keep the heat right...:(

My first large newbie mistake...
Paul

Have you tried moving some media over to the 10 from the 38? You would really be amazed at how this will bump your cycle along.

What I do for my Q-tank is to run the box filter in my 55- hidden away behind some plants - so it is always running and ready for when I might need it. I also keep biowheels floating in established tanks so I can put one in my Q-tank when I need it.

Are you doing daily water changes in the 10? I might be more comfortable with daily massive water changes and safe killies in the 10 than doom in the 38 - it might be that they are not going to be a good fit for the 38 community, and here we go with MTS - this is exactly how it starts.

Don't feel bad about mistakes - we all have challenges that come up from time to time, and you are doing what you can - you are following advice, using a Q-tank, so you are way ahead of a lot of newbies out there. Sometimes circumstances get the better of us and we have ALL been there.

Yes, I have been. The unfortunate thing about this thread is it is getting so long! I think all the setup info is there, but who wants to read 3 pages? hehe!

I have honestly been doing 25-30% daily water changes. Maybe I panicked too quickly this morning, but I thought that it might be better for them to be a little stressed in the 38 rather than suffocated to death by nitrite in the 10...I turned the light off a few hours early and everybody is much calmer now.

After watching them for a day in there, I don't think I want them in there permanently. They are far too mild mannered and my tank is definitely becoming semi-aggressive with the loaches and the gourami. Honestly, I am not certain I want the swordtails in there permanently anymore. While they are not being injured by the gourami, they do not have the courage to stand up to him, and are being chased around. Even though the loaches are half the size of the gourami, he doesn't mess with them because the loaches will chase HIM around. :)

Anyways, back to the point. I have squeezed the filter pad into this new filter multiple times, I have even taken about a half cup of gravel, put it inside a cut up pair of pantyhose and set that in the filter. It seemed to work well for the ammonia, but the nitrites aren't moving.

I purchased some clear ammonia tonight. I don't know if it is pure. I shook it and I don't THINK it fizzed, but how to know? The ingredients are water, ammonia, chelating agent. I suppose I wasted 97 cents because of the chelating agent?

I am seriously considering getting a 20 gallon and putting the killies and the swords in there, and maybe adding some tiger barbs or another semi-aggressive fish to finish off the 38. Would it be bad to take the swords from a 38 and putting them into a 10 or 20 gallon?

What do you think about doing a 95% water change with no fish in there tonight or tomorrow morning, and then putting the killies back in after the new water is ready, floating a biowheel if necessary?

Paul

PS - Sorry for the length, I am frustratedly rambling.

The ammonia would say "sudsing" or something like that, so I think you are in good shape.

I think that is a good idea with the massive water change and start over. Definitely float a biowheel - I have had that work when gravel in the knee-high pantyhose did not have as much effect.

Back
Top Bottom