Cycle check plz?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back on my laptop! :)

This mornings result
Ammo - obv 0
NitITES 0.25ppm!!!!!
TrAtes - looks still 80<>160 - getting closer to 160
I'm gonna test tonight to see if those TrItes go bye bye! then dose 1ppm, check in the morn and keep ticking over until friday :)

Keep the posts coming reedy , seeing your results and advice giving to you is helping me a lot ! (y)

Soooooooo

Here it is..!
90% water change last night at 8.30pm after;
0 Ammonia
0 NitrItes
Nitrates 80<>160

Dosed 1ppm Ammonia at 9.pm
After 24 hrs - 0 Ammonia, 0 NitrItes and 30ppm NitrAtes!!

However!! - because I'm nosey, I wanted to check where, and what that level of Ammonia was doing at 8.30AM this morning and I had, 0 Ammonia 0.25ppm NitrItes! Now, according to the LFS this is normal and apparently, YES the tank is cycled, So, if I hadn't of checked this morning at 12hrs in from 1ppm Ammonia, I wouldn't have seen that...? IS THIS NORMAL? The LFS answer to that was 'well, your fish are not going to dump 1ppm in one go'....

Would love your input....

I think it's ok, but I wouldn't fully stock with just 1ppm turnover. I'd aim for at least a 2ppm turnover to fully stock. We teach to 4ppm since there is "no way" that a full stock could produce that, so you can stock 100% right off the bat.

I think it's ok, but I wouldn't fully stock with just 1ppm turnover. I'd aim for at least a 2ppm turnover to fully stock. We teach to 4ppm since there is "no way" that a full stock could produce that, so you can stock 100% right off the bat.

Hmmmm

yes something tells me things are not quite right yet..

I'll dose to 2ppm and check 24hrs later..Id rather be more safe than sorry :ermm:

Thanks Jen for all your support through my cycle - much appreciated. I have followed your advice right through, although others have suggested conflicting info - Well, your method has worked 100% and everything did as it should. So in hindsight, from dosing my Ammonia, I'm (almost) cycled in 13 days, providing my 2ppm clears in 24hrs xxx

Will keep you posted

You should be able to double your dose every 24-48 hours, so it should only take you a little more time to bolster it to 2ppm. It's a slowwwwwwww start and then a speedy downhill slide!

Well guys (and gals!) I expect this is my last entry/update on cycle

As suggested by Jen, I'm cycling my tank to 2ppm. This time tomorrow, (probably sooner looking at my zero rate time scales) I should be done!

After clearing 1ppm Ammonia > NitIte in 24 hours and to get my tank to cycle to 2ppm, I carried out the following;
21st March - added 2ppm Ammonia (based on 20.5L which is 0.49ml) at 8.30AM
22nd Ammonia 0 >NitrIte5ppm
23rd Ammonia 0 > NitrIte 0.10ppm @8.30am . I wanted to wait until NitrIte was 0 before adding more ammonia and by 10am, it was clear so dosed back to 2ppm
24th Checked 24 hrs after dose - 10AM Ammonia 0 > NitrIte 0.35ppm. I knew this would be at 0 by the time I finished work, so checked at 5pm...it was 0! Iv'e just added what I'm assuming will be my last 2ppm dose looking at the time scale pattern, the first clearing around 48hrs, 2nd dose, less than 31hrs...and so on :)

I hope this has helped many on the forum and can only describe this cycle as being an emotional roller coaster! - Not knowing exactly what to expect, hoping you've not done something wrong...oh! and a few grey hairs! lol, the list goes on!

Well, thanks again for taking the time to read my 'diary' - good luck and happy cycling!!.....ummmm, well, you know what I mean..! phew! :)

Trace

Morning Jen &#55357;&#56842;

From the first dose of ammonia, 7th to 25th march it's taken 2 water changes, 1 small pinch of fishfood - 18 days, in summary;
7 doses of ammonia on
7th/8th - 4ppm
13th - 3ppm
14th - 2ppm
15th - 3ppm
19th - 1ppm
21st - 2ppm
23rd - 2ppm
24th - 2ppm
Water changes
50% for PH drop to 6.6
90% before finishing my cycle to 2ppm
NitrIte/ trAte off scale from 14th to 19th

Trace x

Me again :)

Need some advice asap plz

So, it's been 3 days since adding 8cpd's to my tank and all seems ok..BUT I feed them a tiny amount of Cyclops (water fleas) and as you can imagine, most of them are stuck to the pre filter! can I gently swish this is some tank water to get them off? Wouldnt want to affect the bacteria in there?
Also, my PH has raised to 7.2! there is NOTHING different in there since cycling, no added things, no changing/cleaning or disturbing gravel. Could this food be affecting? Help please :-(

Trace x

Is there a problem with 7.2? That's fine

Your prefilter like the sponge going up to a HOB? i wash mine in tank water all the time. It would get so nasty if I didn't. That's your mechanical filtration so it absolutely needs cleaning or it will impede the filter a lot after getting clogged with gunk.

A good way to get the sponge off without releasing a bunch of junk into the water is to take a baggie like a ziploc baggie, fill it in the tank, then slowly raise it up around the sponge and kind of hold it closed around the sponge as you pull it off.

I squeeze mine clean in tank water probably once a week and the water is always opaque with junk

Is there a problem with 7.2? That's fine

Your prefilter like the sponge going up to a HOB? i wash mine in tank water all the time. It would get so nasty if I didn't. That's your mechanical filtration so it absolutely needs cleaning or it will impede the filter a lot after getting clogged with gunk.

A good way to get the sponge off without releasing a bunch of junk into the water is to take a baggie like a ziploc baggie, fill it in the tank, then slowly raise it up around the sponge and kind of hold it closed around the sponge as you pull it off.

Thanks Jen!
Yes, my PH has raised from 6.8 to 7.2...?

I think it would be ok as long as your main filter is a good enough filter. In fact since you don't want your filtration relying on the prefilter sponge I would definitely do it. Even if it made you "mini cycle" it would resolve within a day, and I doubt your CPD are producing much waste.
If it worries you a lot, make your first ones gentle. I squeeze the crap out of mine because I want it totally clean! Bacteria be darned!

7.2 is a great ph, I wouldn't worry :)

Well..

It's been a week today since I added 8 Rasboras (Galaxy, or celestial pearl danios..!) and they're all doing well :) Very shy fish but fun to watch! Turns out I've ended up with 6 males and 2 females....uh oh!...well - I called the LFS and asked to swap 4 males back in exchange for females and they haven't any left! Anyway, they're not stressing too much, so I'm waiting for them to get the next batch in..
Tested every day and readings are 0 amm, 0 NitrIte and 15/20ppm NitrAtes so far - I did change 25% water after 3 days as that API master kit has me goofed on the ammonia reading sometimes! but that also could've been after me rinsing the pre - filter...anyway..

I'm suffering the dreaded brown algae! It looks such a mess covering the christmas moss on the tree - doesn't look like a tree anymore it's a brown fuzz! There's such conflicting info AGAIN online...leave lights off/increase lighting...brown algae and diatoms are not an algae they're a small micro organism..ect ect..sigh, so I'm just waiting this out..

Whats going on with my PH? for the whole time cycling it's been steady ay 6.8..? Now I fluctuate from 7.2 to 7.4..? Is this a phosphate issue? I'm baffled, especially since no change/decor ect after cycling..
My test for KH was 0.9 (shop checked) which to me seems pants and could explain my PH fluctuation...sigh...

It feels like a bit of an anticlimax! :-(

Thought I would post an update :)

Well (is it almost 3 weeks later?)...8 Galaxy Rasbora's/Celestial Pearl Danio's....6 x Cherry Red Shrimp AND 3 Nerite snails!! (got these as apparently they do not breed in freshwater..) Water parameters PERFECT. Last week I pulled out the Christmas moss tree, (turns out I had Diatoms and silca? Algae) as it was looking awful! I got a little dis-heartened over the whole fish keeping/tank thing. Anyway, that was Tuesday last week. On Thursday last, I bought the Cherry Shrimp and snails hoping they could work a magical miracle of all the Algae smothering my plants and glass...OMG these guys CLEARED the lot in DAY!! Talk about dance and smile again at the 'lush' greenery!! I seriously couldn't believe my eyes - wish I left the tree in now! Anyway, I re-scaped and I'm happy with how its all turned out :)

I do 2 x 4 Litre water changes Per week. 1 Wed eve and 1 Sun morn and all is good..No spikes..rinsed the main filters last week too before the shrimp and all is good :)

Back to enjoying my tank - a little setback at the end with Algae & Diatoms after the rollercoaster cycle, but it's a learning curve. I have picked up and researched so much, thanks to the internet, not forgetting Jen!, who was there to calm me ;-) and advise as I needed. Just don't give up, your hard efforts will seriously 'pay off' ;-) And no question would ever be a silly question...that's what we're here on this forum for, right?

Trace
xx

Soooooooo...Me again!!!! ahem...3 months later, fish healthy, lost all but 1 cherry shrimp - found out it was the drastic ph swing in new water compared to aquarium water - added another 10 cherries, I change 5LTR per week - SLOWLY, like drip slow - now spotted about 4 carrying eggs..:lol::popcorn:

BUT - now gone from the Fluval Edge (which I still have) to.........

THIS!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Soooooooo...Me again!!!! ahem...3 months later, fish healthy, lost all but 1 cherry shrimp - found out it was the drastic ph swing in new water compared to aquarium water - added another 10 cherries, I change 5LTR per week - SLOWLY, like drip slow - now spotted about 4 carrying eggs..:lol::popcorn:

BUT - now gone from the Fluval Edge (which I still have) to.........

THIS!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Awwww, wont show! Anyway its a 4ft Marine....I AM completely mad :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom