Cycle complete now what

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandyyyboo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, my ammonia and nitrites are at zero and nitrates are sky high. I have done two 90% water changes and they are still at 40? Is this normal? How many times will I have to change the water?

That doesn't seem normal. Are you sure you're shaking the bottle #2 for 30 seconds and the whole tube for a minute? If you do a PWC your nitrates should reduce by the amount of the PWC.

Sorry...you're doing a fishless cycle? If so, I assume when you add ammonia, you see your nitrItes climb and then both ammonia and nitrItes zero out after a day?

I think 40 is still considered safe even though it is on the high side. I bet if you did another 50-75% PWC it would be OK. From what I've read on here, you want to shoot for 20ppm.

ETA: SOrry, just re-read you've done 2 90% PWC's already....hmmmmm.

Yes, definitely doing the test correctly. I'm using an API test kit.

My fishless cycle took about four weeks to complete. Everytime the ammonia dropped to zero, I got it back up to 4 ppm. Since the nitrites hit zero, I've just been adding two tablespoons of pure ammonia once it gets completely to zero.

It's possible that you're reading the cards wrong (since all the reds look similar) and that you just have a TON of nitrates. Keep doing PWC's until the tube looks orange.

Well, the lightest red color is 40 and my reading is bright red. So at best, mine are Around 40.

How much is partial? 20% 25%

Well, as long as you make sure your filter and gravel aren't drying out, then do 50% or more. I mean, 10 nitrates is really your ideal.

Did a 50% water change and am about to test the nitrates again. Do I keep putting ammonia in the tank whenever it drops to zero to keep the bacteria alive?

Brandyyyboo said:
Did a 50% water change and am about to test the nitrates again. Do I keep putting ammonia in the tank whenever it drops to zero to keep the bacteria alive?

Yes up until you and fish do another water change of 90% the day before then add fish

Back
Top Bottom