Cycle info please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a ten gallon tank if you didnt know already and i was wondering what would be the best fish to do the cycle with? i dont want to do a fishless cycle and sit there with an empty tank even though some of the fish might die :cry: :cry:

use a product called cycle or a derivitive there of and put in a convict or firemouth,most pet stores will take em back after your finished with em, prob. wont buy em back but you could donate it back, it should serve the cycle

do you think congo tetras would survive the cycle?? j/w cause im getting some anyway, i know neon tetras wont survive it

Cycle is not going to instantly cycle your tank, though there are reports that it helps - I have used it many times and I would not bother with it.

What plans do you have for the tank? Maybe the fish you have in mind for the cycled tank are ones that can tolerate the cycle, so you won't have to return them in the end.

Keep in mind that if you go fishless you won't have to fool with water changes all the time to keep the fish from dying, and all in all it might go quicker just because you can keep your ammonia level up and not have to dilute it with water changes in the meantime.

uhm tankgirl, knowing your a pretty good fish person i was wondering if you could elaberate on what makes a fishless cycle better? and i want to get like 10 neons and 4-5 congo tetras, or the neons and maybe 1 medium sized fish if you have a good one in mind please tell. thanks

I started my tank with danio's. they are very hearty and strong and nice to look at. Platty's are easy too but have lots of babies. you may want to consider the amount of fish you want to put in that 10gal due to the bioload. the fish you want are relatively small so it may not be a problem but i don't think i would go with anymore than like 10. I'll let tankgirl explain the fishless cycling in detail. If i was starting a new tank i would definatel take the fishless route. Cycling with fish takes a lot more work and water changes and more care to detail about the health of your fish. Fishless cycling is basically just letting the water go and adding ammonia to feed your bacteria till your cycle is done but still requires attention without the risk of your fish dying. Hope this helps

You got it in a nutshell, kmlong. You add regular household ammonia to simulate the waste produced by the fish and decomposing food matter, and the tank cycles without any critters in it. You are growing nitrifying bacteria that consumes ammonia and produces nitrite as a waste product, then de-nitrifying bacteria will grow that consumes the nitrite and produces nitrAte as a waste product. Then your cycle is "done" and you do a big ole water change, and add fish. The fish then provide the ammonia (food) for the bacteria to keep on doing their thing, and the bacteria present everywhere becomes a major parto of your filtration system.

Fishless is "better" to me because you can keep ammonia levels high and nitrite levels high so that you can grow tons of bacteria, without having to dilute the levels to protect the health of the fish. Some fish do not tolerate going through a cycle very well, but danios are commonly used and in general will tolerate it.

I think Congo tetras are going to be too big for your 10 gal, but you could try the neons with a dwarf gourami (they are tough customers, might not work) or perhaps even a betta. Maybe the neons and a trio of pygmy cory cats would make a nice display.

Back
Top Bottom