Cycle is going no where.. What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLAYER6669

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I started up a brand new 180 gallon tank just over 3 weeks ago already, and I have seen absolutely no changes to suggest the tank is cycling at all. I dosed the tank with Ace Ammonia to about 2-3ppm at first but then a few days after I added some more to approx 4 ppm. The tank sat for over 2 weeks and ammonia never seemed to drop. Water is at about 82*

I eventually put some gravel from a friend's tank into a filter sock and dropped it into the tank. It seemed like the ammonia dropped to 2ppm so I dosed a little more back to 4ppm and still not a single sign of nitrites. I decided to do a PWC a few days later just in case something was going on, and dosed ammonia back up to 4ppm again. Here I am about a week later, still at 4ppm and zero nitrites.

From what I understand, PH/GH/KH tests can be inaccurate at this stage, but I did them anyway and PH appears to be around or just above an 8 right now (and the last time I checked it was an odd shade of purpleish that didn't really resemble the purple shades on the chart). GH took 3 drops to change color and KH took 5 drops to change color (API test kits used)..

Does anyone have any idea what is happening? I know it can take up to 6 weeks for the cycle to complete, but shouldn't most of that time be converting nitrites > nitrates? The water was crystal clear a couple days ago and now it is cloudy again. Hopefully someone can set me in the right direction. This tank will be for Africian Cichlids (mbuna to be exact) so I will have to make sure the pH is high enough after the cycle is done. I'm doing the fishless cycle so I can stock the entire tank at once.

Thanks!

You never mentioned anything about filter(s) running for the duration? I've always used a power head also. I never did a water change until my nitrites were off the charts.

I've got two Sunsun 304b Canisters running with just blue and white pad's in both and seachem matrix.. I didn't plan on doing any water changes, I mainly just did it because I added a lot of cichlid stones to the tank and the have a funky smell to them so the water had a smell to it because of them.

Back
Top Bottom