Cycle my fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtankman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I set my 75 gallon tank up I'n august I have since then cleaned it it and all but the water is still cloudy the ammonia is at a safe reading but it's just cloudy the nitrite and nitrate are high. I've put stress zyme and tetra start up to give the good bacteria and I've used tons of it but it's still cloudy. I also have the ceramic media to settle the good bacteria I'n but I jyst don't know anymore please help somebody thank you!!!!!!!

I'm a little confused, so please bear with me.

You started cycling this tank in August? Fishless?

You started with ammonia and then went to Tetra Safe Start?

Do you have fish in the tank now?

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

No I have fish I'n the tank the ammonia is a safe reading just my nitrite and nitrate is high used stress zyme and tetra start up which have the good bacteria I'n them but it's still cloudy.....

How are you testing the water (liquid or strips)? What are your exact readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? If you have high nitrites, your tank isnt cycled yet. There should be zero ammonia & zero nitrite when its fully cycled. What type of fish are you stocking & how many?

I don't think your tank is cycled if you still have ammonia and high nitrite. I would suggest doing a 50% pwc or more to get your ammonia and nitrite to a safe level if you have fish.

I have silver dollars platties black mollys little tetras a koi a shark and gourmi

I'm sorry I use the strips to check the water
Strips are inaccurate at best. What the strips read as 'safe' generally is not at all! It would be worth the investment to buy an API fw master test kit-it can test hundred of times for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/ph and is very accurate. In the meantime, you really need to test daily & do pwcs to get your ammonia/nitrite levels down to as close to zero as possible for the sake of your fishes health & well-being until your tank is completely cycled.

No I have fish I'n the tank the ammonia is a safe reading just my nitrite and nitrate is high used stress zyme and tetra start up which have the good bacteria I'n them but it's still cloudy.....

Did you follow the instructions on the Tetra Safe Start? I've never heard of "start up", so I presume you mean TSS.

You don't want to use too many things at once to cycle a tank. You should've really picked one method and stuck with it.

You need to start doing 50% water changes, a few per week to get your numbers in check.

Definitely get a liquid test kit (API master) as the strips are worthless.

Your tank is overstocked and poorly stocked but we can address that later.

Back
Top Bottom