Cycle process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clandon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, nitrites have started to kick in, but amonia is still there. about how long does it take after the nitrites start kicking in for the nitrates to start working. also, about how long should it take for the nitrites to kill off the amonia. Or am I missing something.

regards,
-casey

ammonia will almost always be there if you have fish, but hopefully just the littlest amount, nitrites are more a build up of everything and to get rid of them thats when the water change comes in to play....and thats all i know, i know much more experienced people will either say i'm wrong or build on that....hope i helped just a bit...and feed me info people...good luck clandon

In the nitrogen cycle, NH3 is converted to NO2 and the NO2 is then converted to NO3. Your tank will always have traces of NH3 and NO2, although after the cycle is completed, they will not be detectable on your test kits.

Water changes will keep the levels down (1ppm NH3 and NO2). An NO3 spike is on the way. Keep checking your parameters regularily to monitor this.

Back
Top Bottom