Cycle question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just want to make sure I have this right. This is my first fishless cycle and want to reassure myself that I am doing right. I am setting up a small 15gl, filter is on bubbles and heater turned to 87. I added 3 tbsp + 25 drops pure ammonia and got a reading of close to 5ppm. I just tested again (12 hours after first testing) still had around 5ppm. I will be testing every 12 hours until ammonia drops to around 1ppm that dosing back to 5ppm. I will do this until I see a reading of nitrItes. At this time I will cut ammonia dose to 1/2 until after nitrItes spike and fall as well as ammonia. Once ammonia and nitrItes fall to zero I dose with 1/4 tsp of ammonia to keep bacteria living, making sure it does not go above 0ppm. Continue this until I stock.

Am I correct in this or missing anything?

Thanks in advanced.

At this time I will cut ammonia dose to 1/2 until after nitrItes spike and fall as well as ammonia.
just want to make sure we are clear. once you add ammonia up to 3ppm and in 24 hours it reaches zero ammonia and nitrites then you do a large water change and stock the tank.

Back
Top Bottom