Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relic1882

Aquarium Advice Regular
Quick question.

For some reason my 29 gal ammonia level seems to be dropping slowly but the nitrites and nitrates are not building up at all. If I add a bacteria from my lfs, can I help speed this up? It's been almost a month and nothing yet. No fish in the tank. I want my biofiltration to be perfect for when I move. I'm going to try and preserve it and ready the tank for discus fish. I'm moving on May 1st and I need to speed it up. Any suggestions?

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you need something dirty in that tank. The bacteria has to have some reason to show up. You could dump in a bunch of feeder goldfish. I've even done it by putting cheap fish food in an empty tank every time I feed my other fish.

Debbie

Hmmm. Tough task, cycle the tank, then move and have it ready to go. Without problems. Hmmmm. I know you want to shave weeks off the ?fishless? cycle when you move, but I also know that discus are finicky fish, and I think you might want to keep some other fish in the tank for a few months before adding discus. That said, BrianNY is a discus expert, you might want to ask him a few questions before buying discus. I see no harm in trying to establish a biofilter now, but I think there will be disruption of the biofilter with the move, so a tank ready for sensitive fish right from the start may not be probable.

Back
Top Bottom