cycle Question Help please!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frank98284

Aquarium Advice Freak
HI I have a proublem I am starting a 20gal tank i used the rocks and plants from a establish 10 gal tank but could not use the filter dont ask why I filled the tank and wound up using one of the two filters i had on my 50gal that has been up a running for three months. I also discovered that my tap water has ammonia .25 :banghead:so the issue is that how can i get my ammonia down to 0 if my ammonia is at .25 out of the tap. so I had an idea to use the water from my 50gal to do the water changes in the 20gal will this work???

in the 20gal i have
4 mollies
1 cory catfish

AmQuel+, Stress zyme+, Seachem prime and stability- water conditioners that have either nitrifying bacteria and an ammonia reducer. At least that's my opinion. Good luck!!

It would depend on how your water in your other tank tests. Try the previous concoction and wait two days and then test the tank water and see how it tests.

Same problem here, I have .25 ammonia out of my tap too very annoying as I have shrimp and of course want 0! I use Prime, and try to wait a week or so and check it again. Sometimes it is 0 out of the tap and sometimes not.

0ammo at ..75 did a 50% water cange tested nitrites at 1 is this cycling should i just let it go and hope for the best because know it will spike then drop to 0 what do i need to do i know once it cycles that the .25 ammo from the tap will not be an issue

0ammo at ..75 did a 50% water cange tested nitrites at 1 is this cycling should i just let it go and hope for the best because know it will spike then drop to 0 what do i need to do i know once it cycles that the .25 ammo from the tap will not be an issue

If nitrites are at 1 with fish in the tank you need to get that level lower; nitrites are as toxic to fish as ammonia. I'd keep an eye on the larger tank too if you pulled off a whole filter from that tank you may see some toxin spikes there too; you might want to add another filter to that tank. .25 of ammonia from the tap isn't that bad; most dechlorinators will detoxify it and then the bacteria will consume it pretty fast. I'd be more worried about the nitrite right now.

Back
Top Bottom