Cycle seeding from unfiltered Betta tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apr28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a little 2.5 gallon unfiltered Betta tank in my son's room that has been established for about 2 years.

The water has been properly changed and dechlorinated and the tank consists of substrate and a few decorations.

Can the substrate be used for seeding my 29g or is this a chemistry no-no?

My gut is telling me 'no'.

Is there an airstone in the betta tank? If there is no air stone and no filter, it's not likely there will be any significant amount of nitrifying bacteria in with the betta.

Bettas really ought to have some kind of small filter. It can be a dirt cheap tiny sponge filter for that tank but you should have some filter. JM2C.

Honestly I would just cycle the 29g and not worry about trying to use anything from the betta tank simply because as already stated the tank probably has little to no BB and even if it did a tank only grows enough BB to handle the bio-load of the tank. Seeing there is only one betta in the tank there would be very little bacteria anyway.

Betta's are tropical fish and should have some type of filter and a heater. When their water cools into the lower 70's betta's often become sluggish.

Back
Top Bottom