cycle seems stalled, Vacation coming up. Need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobStark

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been set up for about a month now. With fish in. I've had nitrites and nitrates since day 3 because I had some bacteria on filter media I added to my new setup. The Tank I took it from wasn't cycled because it was an overloaded and underfiltered tank. But it at least jumpstarted my cycle.

Now my nitrites and nitrates have been reading around the same since day 6 or so. Always 2-5ppm nitrites and 5-10ppm nitrates. I was doing 25% PWC's for awhile but I kicked it up to 50% changes every day so the fish don't suffer. I've been doing the 50% changes for the last week and a half and still every day before the change I get the same readings.

I'm going on a week long cruise in 2 weeks. I never thought the tank would take this long to cycle and wasn't worried about it a few weeks ago.; But now it's getting closer to my vacation and I'm getting concerned. A month now, and I jumpstarted the cycle, I thought this would cut down the time but it seems I'm reaching the top end of what people said to expect with no helpful bacteria. I heard 2 weeks from some, a month from others. But that was with no jump start.

Now I have diatoms mucking up the tank as of the last week. From what I can tell I'm doing everything I'm supposed to. Now I'm wondering If I should buy some Seachem Stability to help the cycle along a bit. With only 2 weeks left I'm getting down to the wire. I don't have anyone who I would trust to come over and do water changes while I'm gone.

If you need any other information to help with advice please ask. Its a 29g BF, 3- 2 inch goldfish, aquaclear 70 filter, Q1 airpump, current sat+ light, using Seachem Prime with every water change, API master test kit to test water daily. Well water with no signs of ammonia or nitrites/ates.

Edit* In my filter from bottom to top--Aquaclear 70 sponge, Aquaclear 70 ammonia remover, Whisper filter cartridge w/carbon removed, whisper filter sponge, Aquaclear biomedia

The bacteria you get in Seachem Stability is not quite the same as the bacteria that would naturally develop - Seachem's bacteria is heterotrophic, and not autotrophic.

Heterotrophic bacteria doesn't sustain itself in the way autotrophic bacteria does, which is why you keep having to add more of Seachem's product to keep the cycle going.

If you do decide to add bottled bacteria, find a source of autotrophic bacteria (Dr Tims?) or get a squeezing from an established tank. Otherwise you might get caught in a situation where the bacterial colony you have cannot sustain itself without constantly adding a product like Seachem Stability.

In fact, getting filter material from an established tank might be a solution for you.

Hope this works out! Sounds stressful.

Thank you for the reply,

I'll look into the Dr. Tim's for sure. I don't know any fish enthusiasts to get established media from. There is a privately owned pet store that specializes in aquatics about 30 mins from my home. Maybe they will help me out.

I can vouch for Dr. Tim's, too. Really great stuff. Order it from his website. That way you can be sure it's fresh instead of a bottle that's been sitting on a store shelf for who knows how long.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok..placing the order tonight for some Dr. Tims one and only. My AC70 is starting to bypass when on full power because its time for a cleaning. Especially with the diatoms in the tank, it really dirtied up everything. But with this long stretch of the same readings, I dont want to hurt the bacterial colonies. So I haven't cleaned anything in a bit. At first I scrubbed my ornaments with a toothbrush and gravel vacuumed 1/3rd of the substrate to get rid of the diatoms. Now I'm not touching anything, in 13 days I have to leave the tank for a week with no WC's.
At first it was fun and relaxing doing PWC's everyday, but now after a month and a week it's getting real old real quick.
Sorry, I'm just venting a bit.
I'll let you guys and gals know how the Dr. Tims works out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The bacteria you get in Seachem Stability is not quite the same as the bacteria that would naturally develop - Seachem's bacteria is heterotrophic, and not autotrophic.

That is incorrect. Seachem stability is autotrophic. See here:

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/nitrogen_cycle.html

Personally, I have had better results with Tetra SafeStart than Seachem Stability. I find that Stability works best in a brand new tank with pristine clean filter. If the tank is partially cycled (for example zero ammonia but high nitrite) then adding Stability is less effective in controlling that high nitrite. I don't know why. Its as if the bacteria in Stability is being suppressed by whatever is already in the tank. On the other hand Tetra SafeStart effectively establishes itself and controls the nitrite in a few hours as long as you follow instructions and pour the ENTIRE bottle.

I stock both Stability and SafeStart at home. If I need to rapidly cycle a new tank, I use Stability. Safestart can cycle a new tank just as well but it costs more since it requires the entire bottle in one shot. If the tank has a damaged cycle due to rapid overstocking or biofilter loss due to moving a biofilter to another tank, I find that SafeStart is needed and that Stability will fail even if used as directed for 7 days.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I might end up being ok without it. Tonight I thankfully got a reading of .50 to maybe 1ppm. Its an amethyst color instead of the barney purple that ive been reading as 2ppm for the last 5 weeks

I have one tank right now that is stalled at 0.25 ppm purple nitrite. Its been that way for 5 days despite daily *double dose* of Stability for 5 days. If I had used Tetra SafeStart instead of Stability I am sure to reach 0 ppm nitrite within 24 hours or less, but I didn't want to spend the $10 per SafeStart bottle given that nitrite is almost zero. I was hoping that Stability would be good enough given that 0.25 ppm is quite low but I'm basically looking at Stability failure. The only question in my mind right now is whether Stability helped at all, given that I had 0.25 ppm even before starting Stability. My biofilter got "damaged" when I moved one of its three filter sponges to another tank to speed up cycling of that new tank. The tank has a new fresh sponge (so it has 3 sponges again), but Stability does not seem to be seeding the new sponge.

I wonder if Stability would work if I used the entire bottle in one shot just like the instructions on SafeStart.

After being cycle stalled (0.25 ppm nitrite) for a whole week while using seachem stability I went ahead and added 4 oz (half of large bottle Tetra SafeStart) and nitrite is finally zero, as I predicted. Seachem Stability has difficulty completing a cycle that is halfway done.

Good to know matt..thanks

It's been reading .50 for the last few days. I slowed down the big water changes. Been doing 25% instead of 50.

.50 is better than 2...but still not quite there

Woohoo .25 today...things are looking good

Yeah..fingers crossed for sure. Im going to do a big water change tonight. .like 60 to 70% in hopes of finishing the cycle completely.

Back
Top Bottom