Cycle with ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny32561

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if I could cycle a large tank (127 gal kiddie pool) with ammonia you would buy it would have to be pure but how much to put in and has anyone had experience with this before?

1 gallon is 3875 ml (if memory serves) so adding .004 ml of ammonia per gallon would give you 1ppm if my math is also right.

I think the target ppm for starting the nitrogen cycle is around 3 to 4 ppm ammonia so that's 300 ml of ammonia to start with. You'd then need an extra 70 ml to raise the pool 1ppm back up and keep the bacteria fed while the process runs its course.

Edit: oops it's 3785 per gallon. Close enough.

There's ammonia calculators just a Google search away. ACE Hardware sells pure ammonia. I used about half a decent bottle cycling my 75gal tank. It only costed like $5. That's the route I would go if you want a cheap effective ammonia cycle.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

1 gallon is 3875 ml (if memory serves) so adding .004 ml of ammonia per gallon would give you 1ppm if my math is also right.

I think the target ppm for starting the nitrogen cycle is around 3 to 4 ppm ammonia so that's 300 ml of ammonia to start with. You'd then need an extra 70 ml to raise the pool 1ppm back up and keep the bacteria fed while the process runs its course.

Edit: oops it's 3785 per gallon. Close enough.

Keep in mind that ammonia isn't 100% ammonia. The concentration usually ranges around 10% ammonia / 90% water

Here's a calculator
Calculator

Back
Top Bottom