Cycle your tank w/fish & plants - Easy way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are beginning to stray off-topic a bit -- I do agree that fishless cycling is probably the best way to cycle a tank and the way I would recommend to a newbie. In a perfect world, this would be done every time a tank is begun. But if we "inherit" fish or unfortunately don't understand the cycling process beforehand, the "silent cycle" using live plants (the correct species of live plants) is a valid method to cycle the tank to allieviate fish distress. Refer to Purrbox's post on page 1.

I have used this silent cycle method a few times with wonderful results - a nice tank set-up and healthy fish. The fish I used while starting the "silent cycle" are the longest-lived fish I have ever had to date.

While a newbie could do this easily, and may have to if necessary, I would still prefer that an understanding of the nitrogen cycle and plant care is in place before beginning a silent cycle. The plants do take in the ammonia - plants prefer ammonia just as much as nitrate, the end product of the nitrogen cycle. The beneficial bacteria will still grow and be colonized in a planted tank. The difference is that the plants can and will take up the ammonia first/concurrently while the cycling bacteria establishes - hence the safety factor for the fish. Of course, as stated, the fish bioload must be light to begin this silent cycle correctly.

very well put... I still have to side with Kimo.. I love the siletn plant and fish cycle.. I have done it in quite a few of my 7 tanks now (about half), and have NEVER had any spikes...which makes it just as safe if not healthier for the fish (as my plants keep the nitrAtes much lower as well)

A begginer could do it this way regardless of if they have the fish or not already.. I did it with a tank i bought in december and didn't add a single fish until a month ago. (granted it hasn't been running all that time but I did a ton of research on it..)

You can find many people (perhaps not here) that like to do it this way.. As to doa fishless cycle ina planted tank you have to consider how much pure ammonia you are putting into your tank with plants to get an ammonia reading.. which is a lot and not good!

If the "cycling" is done the way Kimo stated there should NEVER be spikes of any type as it is a slow buildup of fish at a rate the plants can handle

edit to add: Yes I do agree with you an-tiasg newbies do need to learn about the nitrogen cycle but once they have hopefully done their research they should be able to pic which way is for them

Last edited:
Just to clarify, NH3 (unionized) is lethal at >1.00mg/l and >.05mg/l is already greatly stressing fw fish. Depending on environmental circumstances the tolerance of a fish to ammonia toxicity may increase, but at what cost? Physical and behavioral abnormalities coincide with gill tissue damage (respiratory problems from limited gas exchange due to fused lamellae). All in all, it increases stress and decreases the liklihood of resisting disease. I do not think I need to delve further into such nor NO2/NO3 in order to make a point. It is not a matter of whether or not it can be done, but whether or not it should be done. Most often there is longterm disabilities in fish osmoregulation and oxygen deprivation so if you are willing to take the risk then by all means; however, you often hear of people wanting the best for their animals so perhaps your fish deserve better than your impatience ;)

I completley agree with you and do want the best for me fish if that was twords the planted cycle like I said I have NEVER had a reading on any test kit anytime of day show for anything other than NitrAtes and those are even incrediblly low compiared to an unplanted tank.. so it's no different than the fishless except you never actually "See" the cycle.. at least I never have.. I have minimal nitrAtes and no ammonia or nitrItes whatsoever

Just to clarify, NH3 (unionized) is lethal at >1.00mg/l and >.05mg/l is already greatly stressing fw fish. Depending on environmental circumstances the tolerance of a fish to ammonia toxicity may increase, but at what cost? Physical and behavioral abnormalities coincide with gill tissue damage (respiratory problems from limited gas exchange due to fused lamellae). All in all, it increases stress and decreases the liklihood of resisting disease. I do not think I need to delve further into such nor NO2/NO3 in order to make a point. It is not a matter of whether or not it can be done, but whether or not it should be done. Most often there is longterm disabilities in fish osmoregulation and oxygen deprivation so if you are willing to take the risk then by all means; however, you often hear of people wanting the best for their animals so perhaps your fish deserve better than your impatience ;)

Not to argue... but where is the scientific proof w/references to back up these claims? That is what I am after... not just because someone states it.

"NH3 (unionized) is lethal at >1.00mg/l and >.05mg/l is already greatly stressing fw fish."

I will get you the references later on tonight as there are several.

References:

Edward J. Noga, 1996-2000
Dieter Untergasser, 1992-2008
Chris Andrews, A. Exell, and N. Carrington, 1991-2003

Cited within Noga: Daoust & Ferguson, 1984. Schwedler et al., 1985. Colt & Armstrong, 1979. Walters & Plumb, 1980. Thurston et al., 1981.

I can get you more from D. Untegasser tomorrow if needed; however, they all pretty much stipulate comparable figures with the first two being standard medical works in the field.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom