Cycled!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidberger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just confirmed my fishless cycle twice. Dosed Wednesday and Thursday night too about 4ppm. Just turned my temp down and finished around 90% water change. Will test nitrate in morning before heading to get fish!!

I have been cycling for three weeks, stuffed my filter with seeded material!

46g bow, fluval c4. Play sand bottom, java moss and one anabis.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393640965.464787.jpg

Ph in tank scares me, looks about 8.4. Tap is 7.4. Just took some tap water to let is sit over night- day to see if changed.

Does ammonia cycle cause the ph jump?

What can I do do bring in back down?
How can I do water changes with aqueon water changer if I have such a difference from tank water compared to fresh tap?

Congratulations on achieving a cycle in your new tank. Your PH swing is due to the CO2 in your water lowering the natural PH of your tap water. When it gases off, it rises to 8.4 which is the actual PH of your tap.

It is high, but fish survive quite well in alkaline water. My discus and shrimps are in 8.2 water no problem.

If you wish to lower the alkalinity, put some peat moss granules in your tank filter. If you would like to lower the PH and soften your water before it goes into your tanks, you can put a bag of peat moss granules in 5 gallon bucket of tap water. It will lower in 24-48 hours. It will also be brown, but you can remove the color with carbon in your filter.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21338

Thanks for the response

You're very welcome. When spring comes, you can also visit the local garden center and look for organic peat moss which should contain no additives. It's a bit messy to work with, but if you have get a large fine filter bag - say the size of a large sandwich bag, you will save yourself lots of $$.

Back
Top Bottom