Cycled in three days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes it's true...

Two tanks were involved.

The established 55 gal and the new 10 gal.

I put the biowheel from the filter on the 10 into the water in my 55 (it floats). Then I set up the 10 (washed sand and decorations, put everything together etc). This past Sunday I added ammonia. It gave me 2 ppm on the ammonia test this past Monday. I then put the bio wheel back in the filter.

I tested the water last night...

0 ammonia
0 nitrItes
10-20 nitrAtes

Oh yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about. I'm going to do a small water change tonight to bring the nitrAtes down and add some more ammonia to verify that it is cycled.

I knew that using media from an already established tank would speed up the cycle, but I've never done it first hand until now. As soon as I get my Penguin 170 I'll be doing the same to my 30 gal. Gotta love the bio-wheel...

I did something similar, cycling a 44-gal with 2 Penguin Mini biowheels that I had been keeping in my 55 for just this kind of thing. The wheels don't go on any filter (the Penguins are on planted tanks so I removed the biowheels) but I keep them in an established tank, hidden in tall plants. I just tossed them into the new 44 (going fishless for 3 weeks before I remembered I had the biowheels) and in 3 days after floating the established biowheels in the 44 it was completely cycled. Now the biowheels are again ready to help cycle a 15gal, and I am going to try what you did, and put them in at the beginning of the fishless. Way to go!

The biowheels had been hanging out in the 55 for probably 3 months, and they are back in there now for the future. This is really a major benefit to having more than one tank, like Menagerie said - you have lots of bacteria at your disposal. It was easier to use the biowheels than to try to dig up gravel or remove a decoration, or crack open the canister filter. If a new tank setup or fishless cycle coincides with the cleaning out of a filter, though, I use the "filthy" floss.

I had mine in the 55 for maybe a week or so...

It was easier to use the biowheels than to try to dig up gravel or remove a decoration, or crack open the canister filter.

That's what I'm talking about... Tons of bacteria in a very small and easy to move package...

Back
Top Bottom