cycled tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duckkbutter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i finally recieved my Aqua Farmaceuticals Freshwater Master Kit test. My 20 gal tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks. Here are my readings:

PH - 7.7
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm

The 0ppm i believe either to be zero or just a small amount that that test doesnt pick up. Is my tank cycled? What is my next step(s) to follow?

Your tank is not cycled until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrIte and a reading of NitrAtes. Normally after a cycle around 20-40 ppm for nitrates.

It doesn't look like it has begun cycling. Are you cycling with or without fish?

Are you cycling with fish? I believe in a previous post you said you were using neon's, but I'm not for sure.

duckkbutter said:
Here are my readings:

PH - 7.7
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm

The 0ppm i believe either to be zero or just a small amount that that test doesnt pick up. Is my tank cycled? What is my next step(s) to follow?

i meant to say Nitrates-10ppm not zero, sorry

If you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes and 10ppm Nitrates, then it does mean you're cycled.

Now you can add your fish very, very slowly.

If you cycled without fish, you will need to do a 50% water change before adding any fish.

Good job and have fun! :D

Sorry to butt in, but my tank is reading:

0 - Ammonia,
0.25ppm - Nitrite
5.0 - Nitrate

I used Bio Spira, does this seem right? I had my Nitrates at 10ppm 2 days ago, now it went down? 8O

You are certainly on the right track Jherr. Usually after a NitrIte spike, it will take a couple of days for it to level off and zero out. Once that occurs, your NitrAtes will be between 20-40.

Preferable Nitrate readings are 20 and below (but above 0). Anything over 20 needs a partial water change so they don't get out control.

Yes, that is true for an already cycled tank that has been established, but I find that right after a cycle has completed, it is higher.

Well, I have two penguin 150b biowheels on my 29 gal, and all I have for fish are 2 bosemani rainbows, 3 albino cory cats, and a few ghost shrimp, so my bio-load isnt very high, which could be why my nitrate reading isnt either :/

I havent decided on what schooling fish I want to add to the tank yet, and I cant find any MTS out here to throw in there to sift my sand around :(

You don't have to have MTS, you can just manually sift the sand at every water change. Just run something through it. I only have MTS in the 29 gal tank, but that's only beacuse I don't want to risk running a rod through the sand and puncturing one of our eels. The others I just do manually.

Back
Top Bottom