Cycleing taking a long time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Iv been cycling my tank (fishles) for 3 days, the ammonia has only fallen 1 ppm any ideas on why it's taking so long?

Iv cycled tanks before so I have the right conditions for the tank

umm. 3 days? That's not long at all.. A normal fish less cycle with no seeded media can take between 6-8 weeks.

These times vary based on your process and method of course. If you have a lot of seeded media that will help boost things along it can take less time but sometimes hiccups make it take longer.

The last tank I done the ammonia started to fall with in 2 days and that's with no seeded media.

I'm replacing the carbon in my 200L tomorrow should I put that carbon into the tank that is cycling? Then remove it after 3-4 days.

The carbon is really really cheap so I replace it every 2-3 weeks so I know it won't leak anything int the tank

Oh yeah, if your ammonia has been dropping and you are only 3 days into it, you are doing so much better than me! It took me 5 WEEKS to start to see an ammonia drop. And I had seeded media!

Ill give it more time then, I'm just nor respecting the fact that it takes a while.
Is the carbon a good idea?

The last tank I done the ammonia started to fall with in 2 days and that's with no seeded media.

I'm replacing the carbon in my 200L tomorrow should I put that carbon into the tank that is cycling? Then remove it after 3-4 days.

The carbon is really really cheap so I replace it every 2-3 weeks so I know it won't leak anything int the tank

if you are only leaving it for a few days I wouldn't bother. That won't give much time for colonization of bacteria really. Some other filter media that you could leave for a few weeks, or permanently would be awesome.

Your very lucky on the success of your past cycles. lol. Like bud said it can take a couple weeks sometimes to see that drop. Took about 9 days for my tank to show a drop and the ammo conversion is the quickest.

Wow, I would've LOVED for my tanks to have cycled so quickly . . . my 10g took 8 wks & my 46g took 6 to complete the cycle. The 10g had nitrites for 2 weeks straight & then poof they were gone. I agree that if you're ammo is dropping in 3 days then you're way ahead of the game. Do you have nitrites & nitrates yet?

shellieca said:
Wow, I would've LOVED for my tanks to have cycled so quickly . . . my 10g took 8 wks & my 46g took 6 to complete the cycle. The 10g had nitrites for 2 weeks straight & then poof they were gone. I agree that if you're ammo is dropping in 3 days then you're way ahead of the game. Do you have nitrites & nitrates yet?

My 200L took 3 weeks to cycle then I re done it (new filter etc) and that took 3 weeks to cycle.

I'm not sure ill test for that tomorrow or Wednesday when the ammonia has fallen a little more

Iv looked at this quite a lot and people say its rubbish but on all the tanks iv used a Llittle stress zym, when I say a little the bottle recommends I use 30ml or something and I use 5ml and I get these kind of results :)

My ammonia has fallen down to 0ppm :D

I only use carbon because I have an aqumanta and I have a spare tray so I just throw carbon in there

Okay iv tested my water again and here are the results:

Ammonia: 1ppm again (liquid test)

No2: just over 10ppm (strip test)

No3: just over 250ppm (strip test)

I'll go to my local fish place and I'll get it tested in a liquid test

Back
Top Bottom