Cycling 12g Eclipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huskerdan25

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone! I started a fishless cycle on my 12g Eclipse over 4 weeks ago using pure ammonia. Since about week 1, the ammonia reading has been between 4ppm and 5ppm but I have not seen any nitrites at all. Is this normal to take this long to get the cycle started? I started putting Proquatics bacteria starter a couple of weeks ago but nothing.

Should I have the charcoal filter in place during the cycle or is it stopping bacteria from getting to the biowheel? I'm getting just a little frustrated that it is taking so long to get the cycle going. I would appreciate any advice. Fortunately, my nano-reef has made good progress so I have one of my tanks going forward :)

BTW, I wanted to add that I have the temps in the tank at about 85 - 86 degrees. I understand this is supposed to help the process.

Dan

After 4 weeks you should be seeing something. Are you sure that your tests are good? Have you tested for nitrates?

Short answer--that is getting to be a long time. The benefit of the bacteria in a bottle products is questionable, but as far as I know, is unlikely to inhibit the cycle. Having the charcoal in the filter is not going to pose a problem. Probably the best thing I could suggest is getting a scoop of gravel from an established, healthy tank and placing it in your own. You can presumably get that from your LFS. Better yet would be some of the filter media but that could be difficult to come by if you don't know anyone with a tank.

I'm checking my nitrates now. I never thought to check them since I never got any measurement of nitrites.

I don't have access to another FW aquarium so I can't get seeded gravel to help the process.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Dan

Nitrates are 0 as I expected. I'm definitely open to suggestions. Thanks!

Definitely using pure ammonia that I got from Ace Hardware. Clear and does not foam when shaken. Label says it contains 10% ammonium hydroxide. I looked all over town to find the right stuff! :)

The pH is 7.6.

huskerdan25 said:
BTW, I wanted to add that I have the temps in the tank at about 85 - 86 degrees. I understand this is supposed to help the process.

Dan

I'm not certain about this, but I thought I read somewhere that 84F is the max of what the temp should be...that at higher temperatures, then the bacteria shutdown/die. I wouldn't think that a degree or two would be a big deal, but I guess it's possible.

Maybe drop the temp a few degrees? :?

That could be it. I just read a couple of sources about fishless cycling and it looks like temps should be around 80 degrees, so I could have the temps to high and am killing off the bateria. DOH! Ok, time to turn down the temps and wait it out. Thanks!

Update:

Here is the reason I had the temps at 85-86 degrees.

Also make sure you don't have any ammonia-removing materials in your filter, such as zeolite, ammo-rocks, or nitra-zorb. These will seriously deter, or possibly stop, your cycle. If you have a heater, it would also help to set it to around 86 degrees F. The warmer temperature increases the metabolism of the bacteria you want to create, thereby speeding up the cycle of your tank.

I got this from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/faustus/nicoldaquaria/fishless.htm

animous, I turned down the heat to about 80 so we'll see if that makes a difference. I'll post back in a week to let you know if it worked. Fortunately I have been able to make good progress with my nano-reef, adding my true percula clown last night. Otherwise, I would be pulling my hair out over this! :)

Dan

Back
Top Bottom