Cycling...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I'm extremely impatient so I just wanted to know how long it would take for my tank to cycle :/
Ammonia 1 ppm
Nitrite .50 ppm
Nitrite 20 ppm
Haha and also after I have all the right levels should I stop all ammonia sources or add fish or what :/ lol
Should I put cheap fish in there first or is it fine to put my discus in there once I get the ph down?

It's really hard to say just how long your cycle will take. If you have some filter media from an established tank that can greatly speed up the process. The basic rule is when you dose your tank with ammonia and it is converted to NitrItes and then NitrAtes within 24 hours then you are done. Before you add fish you'll want to perform possibly a 90 percent water change to get most of the NitrAtes out of the tank. If you aren't getting fish then I would continue to dose ammonia at the same level you have been dosing.

I wouldn't get fish you don't want I think that's part of the purpose of fishless cycling.

Hmm :/ but what if I only get a small amount of fish at first that don't keep up with the same amount that I had been adding... Should I leave the shrimp in there until I get more fish?

The biofilter will adjust to meet the ammonia output of those fish. You can leave the shrimp in but right before you get fish I would take it out and do a huge water change.

Back
Top Bottom