Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mc29wlfc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi had my tank set up for 3 weeks now have done 1 partial water change added tetra filter start its a 94 litre have got in there 5 plants, 4 zebra danios and 1 red finned shark. Bio filter and its got a small air pump and stone. Used a tetra 6 in 1 test strip nitrite was zero and nitrate is edging towards 45 ppm. Should I use an ammonia test? and how long wait until cycling has finished? Would like any advice as I'm quite new to this.

Hi had my tank set up for 3 weeks now have done 1 partial water change added tetra filter start its a 94 litre have got in there 5 plants, 4 zebra danios and 1 red finned shark. Bio filter and its got a small air pump and stone. Used a tetra 6 in 1 test strip nitrite was zero and nitrate is edging towards 45 ppm. Should I use an ammonia test? and how long wait until cycling has finished? Would like any advice as I'm quite new to this.
Please do not use the test strips. They are notoriously inaccurate and expensive in the long run. I highly suggest to get an API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

If you had been cycling properly, you should have an ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte test. I sure hope you have a pH test too.

Cycling can take from 3 weeks to 3 months. It's different every time. Just wait until your ammonia and nitrItes have stuck at zero for a few days, and by that time it is safe to say your cycle is finished!

Unfortunately test strips are inaccurate so there's no telling what your ACTUAL parameters are.

Remember to do a good water change very soon. Those nitrAte levels are going to kill fish.

Hope I helped!

its a 94 litre have got in there 5 plants, 4 zebra danios and 1 red finned shark.

Welcome to the wonderful world of fishkeeping.

Although your danios are a good size for this tank, I'm afraid your shark is not. He would need at least 200 liters minimum, but 280 would be better.

I may look into a bigger tank or maybe giving the red finned shark to a friend. Thanks for the advice everyone

Back
Top Bottom