Cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keds195

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I have a 25 gallon tank. I put 6 neon tetras in it on Tuesday morning I've been testing water daily. Ph is 7.2. Ammonia is 0.25 (it's was 0.25 before any fish went in. It hasn't gone up.).
Is it normal for the ammonia to have not gone up yet? Is it best to leave the 6 neons in now until tank has cycled or is it safe to add a few more?

No! Not yet...
To get your reading did you use a liquid test kit or strips? Also what does your nitrite reading say (not to be confused with nitrAte)?

Hi I'm using the api master test kit. The test tubes and liquid. I haven't tested nitrites yet. I didn't think anything would show as ammonia still hasn't changed.

Great! I would check nitrite anyway as ammonia could be shifting over to nitrite. Sounds like you have a decent size tank.

Have you cycled your tank at all before adding the fish or are you 'fish in' cycling? If so, I certainly wouldn't add any more fish yet.

I'm doing a fish in cycle. The fish are all swimming around well eating well too. The only thing I've noticed is that the water levels a
Have gone down is the water evaporating?

Yes the water maybe evaporating. What temp is your tank at?

Ammonia will go up when you feed them and they poop, so feed them very little at first and keep checking your levels. I would recommend feeding them no more than once every other day and test the ammonia and nitrite every 12 hours.

Okay great.

I would settle these fish in first and cycle your tank before adding more fish.

When ammonia shows do a partial water change (PWC). Remember to add tap safe or equivalent to the tap water before adding to your tank.

Temp is 25c or 78f. Ph is 7.2 ammo between 0 and 0.25ppm. In nitrites 0ppm. Is it best to get temperature approx before putting water in. Do you treat the bucket of water or the whole tank once the water has been added?

Looks good so far. You don't really want ammo to increase more than 0.25 ideally. Keep an eye on the readings. I would test every am and pm. I would test for nitrite anyway as it is also harmful.

How long have the fish been in your tank?

Treat the water in the bucket BEFORE you add it to the tank.

Temp looks good - I keep my tank at 26 for neons.

Great thanks for replying. They have only been in since Tuesday morning so not even a week yet. Love watching them and they know when it's dinner time because the all come to the front of the tank.

Sounds like you're doing a great job. You'll get really attached to them! I love mine. Each one is a little life and they have their own little personalities too :)

I would just wait another week or even two before adding anymore fish and try and get the ammonia down to zero with these ones. I know it will be tempting to buy more but that way when you add more you'll have already cycled your tank.

Remember to check your nitrite and nitrate too.

Another tip: when you wash your filter - wash it in dirty tank water when you do a PWC. I would only do this once a week at most to begin with. And DON'T change your filter every month like the manufacturer advices - they want to make sales! Your filter is where your cycle takes place and if you ever do need to change it then cut it in half and put a new one with it so the bacteria transfers over. It's really important. You won't need to worry about that yet but it's important to know. And NEVER wash your filter in tap water!

You sound like you have your head screwed on - you seem knowledgable as you already know about the nitrogen cycle. I learnt the hard way when I first started unfortunately... I followed what the lfs told me - I have learnt to take what they say with a pinch of salt! But I have happy fish now :)

Thank you. I really didn't want to just jump in because I knew it wasn't as simple as add water add fish TADA all done. Lol
So we bought the tank to fit a sideboard we already had in our living room filled it with water and started researching. I come across this website and it has been invaluable would know half the stuff I do if it wasn't for reading it on here and asking questions.
I will keep testing and hopefully will be cycled in no time. Last thing I want to do is rush and end u killing my little neons there well cute. So tiny. Thanks x

Very wise! Also make sure you have a lid on your tank. My friend didn't and she came back from work one day to find one of her fish had jumped out and had died on the carpet :(

I count mine every morning to check they're all there and okay :)

Future reference. Neon Tetras are super sensitive to water quality. I would not recommend them for a cycle process. Nor would I recommend any fish while cycling because it burns their gills and is cruel... Anyway there are some hardy fish that can stand the cycling process. Good luck.

Future reference. Neon Tetras are super sensitive to water quality. I would not recommend them for a cycle process. Nor would I recommend any fish while cycling because it burns their gills and is cruel... Anyway there are some hardy fish that can stand the cycling process. Good luck.

I totally agree but the neons are already in the tank! A fish-in cycle could be done with care and checking ammo/nitrite etc??? Because of the bad experience I had when I got my first tank, having no idea about the nitrogen cycle, I'd never do a fish-in cycle again, but I believe it is possible so long as lots of water changes are done and lots of tests.

I've since cycled two tanks with pure ammonia - it's so easy and fun too - plus you know your water is 100% safe for fish.

Thank you. I really didn't want to just jump in because I knew it wasn't as simple as add water add fish TADA all done. Lol
So we bought the tank to fit a sideboard we already had in our living room filled it with water and started researching. I come across this website and it has been invaluable would know half the stuff I do if it wasn't for reading it on here and asking questions.
I will keep testing and hopefully will be cycled in no time. Last thing I want to do is rush and end u killing my little neons there well cute. So tiny. Thanks x

You might want to check out the Neon Tetra profile - if you haven't already read it. It's in the forum on this site under freshwater and then fish profiles. They are delicate fish. Keep an eye on them and post on this site if you have any problems and someone will try to help.

I also thought this about neons but a friend who is very knowledgable recommended neon as the tend to do very good in the water where I live.

Back
Top Bottom