cycling 30 gallon getting really close. brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taygreen2001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey just had a quick question getting really close to being done cycling my new 30 gallon ammo dropping really fast nitrates and nitrites off the charts. just wondering have a a little explosion of brown algae was wondering what i should do just leave it and see what happens? or try and clean it up?

Brown algae / Diatoms are just a fact of life with new tanks we all deal with. The only thing you can do is wait it out (usually takes a couple months) and manually clean the stuff off decor...but it comes right back. It almost always goes away on it's own after time.

If you like Otos and they will be compatible with the other fish you choose once you're cycled...they're happy to annihilate diatoms. They chew right through the stuff.

*Welcome to the site btw :)

ECO >>>

I have the exact same issue - cycle seems to be going well and I also have brown algae on the front glass.

I was going to try to clean and remove it from the front glass during the cycle - would that be okay?

Removing it won't affect the cycle?

Thanks for clarifying....

Yep, clean away :). The proportion of bacteria in the filter compared to inside the actual tank is negligible. Every little bit helps, but it shouldn't make any noticeable difference.

Just don't take a hammer to the tank when the diatoms are at their worst. I had to talk myself out of the garage a few times, lol. It really does get awful to the point you're embarrassed to show anyone your tank...but it goes away just as quickly.

Diatoms should come off pretty easy and turn into like a brown cloud of dust. I'd just use an algae sponge. I used to pull out decor and scrub it in the sink. It really is a hopeless cause though...it'll come back within a couple days.

Brown algae / Diatoms are just a fact of life with new tanks we all deal with. The only thing you can do is wait it out (usually takes a couple months) and manually clean the stuff off decor...but it comes right back. It almost always goes away on it's own after time.

If you like Otos and they will be compatible with the other fish you choose once you're cycled...they're happy to annihilate diatoms. They chew right through the stuff.

ok sweet i'l just leave it and see what happens. as for fish i have one little pleco. two ghost catfish same size as the pleco about 2in and one dinosaur ell about 4in they're in a 10 gallon right now cant wait to get them into the 30 though. major upgrade lol.

Will the Otto's clean it off of sand as well?

Back
Top Bottom