cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RABENA

Aquarium Advice Freak
how long does it take to cycle a 20gsl tank.. its been over a wk I still can't see anything in the tank. I do w/c. every 2 or 3 days like 30% DONT know what else to do .. I now have 2 tanks filled w/ white cloudy water

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last time we spoke you were cleaning the sponges with tap water and even replacing them. Have you stopped doing this?

yes I been just throwing them away and replacing them. the bio filter has akor

has been getting gunked up and it disturbing the water flow so its not making a nice stream (current ) to circulate the water .

my 2 frogs and 4 Corey's and 1 beta in the 20 long are doing great. healthy active they are very responsive they come right to top and show begins.
I have river rock substrate plus the cloudy water makes it look darker but they can see

yes I been just throwing them away and replacing them. the bio filter has akor

has been getting gunked up and it disturbing the water flow so its not making a nice stream (current ) to circulate the water .

You really should stop doing that. Just squeeze them out and rinse them in old tank water and they will work like.normal. changing them is the reason your water is cloudy.

how do you feel about making your own filter cartridges I put extra carbon in them because I read some where that the carbon helps with the smell and makes it clear.
I would like to change to the cannister type do you have any suggestions.. I may have to put the other 40 aqueon on the tank maybe it will cycle faster.
thanks for the help and I'm opening to all suggestions

how do you feel about making your own filter cartridges I put extra carbon in them because I read some where that the carbon helps with the smell and makes it clear.
I would like to change to the cannister type do you have any suggestions.. I may have to put the other 40 aqueon on the tank maybe it will cycle faster.
thanks for the help and I'm opening to all suggestions

You shouldn't need carbon and if the aquarium is properly cared for, it shouldn't smell. I'm assuming the aqueon filters use the cartridges? What I would do is slice it open at the top and dump the carbon into a ziplock bag to save for later if you'll ever need it. Stuff it will poly floss from Walmart craft department and put it in the filter. DO NOT change it or rinse it in tap water. Like Mebbid said, that's whats causing your issues. When you do your weekly WC swish the cartridge in a bucket of tank water to clean it (that will insure you keep your BB alive). I can't help you with canisters since I only use the aquaclear filters ATM.

The water will go clear on its on if you stop changing cartridges and rinsing them under the tap. We promise they will go crystal clear a week after you stop doing that.

thank you I'm trying; maybe to hard this one nature has to do it

Back
Top Bottom