Cycling??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover14

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will adding an established filter with bio-wheel and a few aquaruim ornaments from a fully cycled tank into an uncycled tank instantly cycle it?

Will my readings be zero and my Nitrate on the charts?

TIA

Dan :)

I know it wont INSTANTLY cycle but it could be within in a few days...TankGirl said hers was almost instant. I have never tried this before.

Yes, you should get an instant cycle by putting just a well established filter in your tank, but with a bio-wheel too, you should have a definite cycled tank.

I only took the filtration system from my 10 gallon fry tank that was established (1 year) into my 26 gallon long tank and got an instant cycle.

BTW Dan, what are you going to do with the tank you are taking the bio-wheel from?

Probably just pack it up for a while i am going to move it to a differnt room that stays a more constant temp and manually cycle it, i will worry about that after i get the 29 for christmas, i will steal the filter off the 10 :twisted:

The tank has been cyled for about 3 months, but i am sure that it is cyled.

I have a Common PLeco in the 10gal that i have to get rid of, i could start a fish fertilizer bussiness with him.

I also have a blackfinned catfish that gets 12" that i will have to get rid off.

And a Gold severum which my lfs did not infrom me that he got big till after i purchased him.

All the fish are under 3inches apecie,

Probably once i get it taken down ad reassembled by about July of next year, put a few tetras in it.

That's how I upgrade all my tanks. Just don't stock too many fish at 1st. It can support the same mass of fish (or maybe a few less, if you don't move the gravel) as the tank you took the stuff from.

i just set up a new 10 gallon aquarium last night. i've been planning this for the past couple of weeks but didnt have the tank itself until a couple of days ago and didnt get the fish until last night.
so two weeks ago i put the smaller filter on my 38 gallon tank, in addition to the one i was already running, to allow the filter to cycle and develop bacteria. 3 days ago when i got the tank, i drew about 8 gallons of water off of my 38 gallon tank and put it in the 10 gallon tank. unfortanately i didnt have the gravel yet. i added the last two gallons of water and placed the filter on the tank and allowed it to cycle until yesterday when i place the gravel and then later most of the fish (all but the neons) into the 10 gallon. i moved some large decorative rocks from the 38 gallon into the 10.
it seems as though i have a near instant cycle at this point, but i wont know for sure for a couple of days. until then i am keeping the neons outta there.

Yeah mine should work out pretty good maybe.... i am goin to make sure it is cycled before adding anything.

If you don't add something ammonia-producing (either by fish or ammonia itself), the tank will become uncycled. A good test to see if it's cycled, would be to add ammonia to a level of 5 & see if it is gone the next day.

Okay I will keep that in mind!

P.S. Can you use fish food to produce ammonio. Will it totally dissolve?

Back
Top Bottom